EMI unit in or near Nottingham

Jasper

Jul 1, 2005
Hi

Iam joining this forum for advice please. My grandmother-in-law suffers from Alzheimers and has recently been assessed by a hospital (she spent the last month in a hospital unit). They have recommended that she go into a residential home with an EMI unit.

We don't know where to start to find a good place within an hour's drive from Nottingham. Can anyone recommend a suitable home. Fortunately cost is not an issue.

Please help.

Jasper

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jasper,

Perhaps the best resource for investigating care homes is the web site of the Comission for Social Care Inspection http://www.csci.org.uk/ , they are the official body responsible for care home inspection. If you use their Advanced Care Home Search you can specify the type of home (nursing or no nursing), , the type of care (dementia) and then just enter the post code and the search radius in miles.

This will give you a list of homes that meet your criteria. You can then read their inspection reports online and then contact them to arrange a visit if you like. One slight snag with the search results, they may include homes which are licensed to care for only specific, named persons with dementia and are not able to take new admissions. That distinction only becomes clear when you read the inspection reports.

These reports are a good place to start, followed up by lot's of telephoning and visiting. If your grandmother-in-law has a social worker, he or she might also be able to give some first-hand advice on local homes.

The Alzheimer's Society also has a Fact Sheet on Selecting a Care Home which could be very useful.

Take care and keep posting!

Sandy

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Jasper, also ask either our help desk, or your local hospital where she was diagnosed for the telephone number of your local Alzheimers support group. They will know exactly what the homes are like in your area, and the standards they work to. I always trusted word of mouth by those locally to find out about things in my area for Mum. Once you have a short list, make sure you check them out before you commit to any. Love She. XX

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
Dear Jasper
I just wanted to say hello and welcome to TP. I live near Nottingham.
We haven’t got to the nursing home stage yet so all I can say is follow the advice that the others have posted.
My husband goes to respite for one week at a time but they cannot cope with nursing it is a fantastic place they treat Fred like a human being.
Anne

Jasper

Jul 1, 2005
Just a quick note to say thank you for being so helpful.

We have a short-list!

Jasper