EMI Nursing Care, what do you like, what don't you like with your current care home

sueorbell

Mar 15, 2010
California, USA
I like the wide, airy corridors that Mum can roam. I like the en suite shower room, I like the kitchen in the lobby where we can take Mum for a change of scene, and make her a cup of tea.

I don't like that her ward has been without consistent senior staff for over a year, I don't like that they don't email with her weight monthly, even though they've been asked, and said they would do it. I don't like that I have to pay to have snacks delivered, and for companion visits from another care company even though Mum is paying 5,000+ monthly for her care.

What about you?

Sue
Long distance carer for Mum in UK

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Sue
I've read a couple of the topics you've started before in part because they interest me and also because my late mum was born in California (never forgave her for moving over here):)
One was you asked for recommended care in Manchester which I guess would only get you replies as a private message as per the site rules others relate to you being a "remote carer" not an expression I like but I don't have a better one.
Care for the elderly and particularly someone with an SMI is in turmoil over here, homes are competing for the best staff and Local Authority fees are so low that anyone who is self funding is effectively paying part of the fees for the much discounted LA rate yet all are treated the same other than maybe a better view out of the window.
Care homes are all pretty much all running on the edge, high staff turnover, reduced LA rates, new minimum wage and all the rest, at this rate many of them won't be in business this time next year.
Two specific issues " I have to pay to have snacks delivered, and for companion visits from another care company " why should the home pay for snacks being delivered when they no doubt have plenty of free ones available on the ward and why do they charge for a visitor be it family or a paid visitor, all the same to them, a visitor is a visitor so why the charge?
K

sueorbell

Mar 15, 2010
California, USA
Dear Kevini:

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there are folks on Talking Point who have loved ones in EMI nursing, and my interest is in what they like, and what they don't like about the EMI nursing care their loved one is getting. I would be interested in seeing how many like the home and why, and also what some of the negatives are.

This would help put the care of my Mum into some sort of perspective. If many love the care their relative is getting then maybe I need to keep looking for Mum, if many people seem somewhat dissatisfied overall then maybe my Mum is in the best place that is possible within the UK system.

That was the purpose of my post. Hope this helps TPer's to reply.

Thanks,

Sue

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Dear Kevini:

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there are folks on Talking Point who have loved ones in EMI nursing, and my interest is in what they like, and what they don't like about the EMI nursing care their loved one is getting. I would be interested in seeing how many like the home and why, and also what some of the negatives are.

This would help put the care of my Mum into some sort of perspective. If many love the care their relative is getting then maybe I need to keep looking for Mum, if many people seem somewhat dissatisfied overall then maybe my Mum is in the best place that is possible within the UK system.

That was the purpose of my post. Hope this helps TPer's to reply.

Thanks,

Sue

Hi Sue

My Mum is in a nursing home in the wing for people with dementia. It too costs £5000+ per month. She has a lovely ensuite bedroom, access to a garden area and the food is very good and plentiful - all home cooked. There are a good number of staff on duty any time I have visited - and I visit a lot. So far I don't have any real negatives - apart from the cost! Everything is provided for Mum including hairdressing, chiropody etc. Entertainment is provided eg music, quizzes, coffee mornings though Mum is hardly able to take part in any of the activities.
So i would have to say that there are good care homes in the UK and I don't understand why you have to provide snacks and extra care for your Mum even if you live overseas.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The home in which my mother lived seemed to have food on the go pretty much 24/7, pretty much whtever she wanted someone found it, or something similar.

What sort of snacks are you having to send?

Why do you send in a companion care? I it that , being overseas she doesn't have many/any visitors? What do you see as an alternative?