EMI Nursing care v. EMI Residential care

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Mum is in an EMI Residential Home.(Been there for 3 years and walked in as a person with AD).

She can now do nothing for herself, and has to be fed, lifted from bed to chair and back. Does not walk or talk… in fact in quite a poor state. Her EMI Residential Care Home fees are paid by NHS Continuing Health Care.

It is a small Care Home.

The manager’s policy is that all her residents are welcome to stay until the day they die. My Aunt was in a similar Home and died there.

I think you should ask the manager of the Residential Home what her policy is.

Clive

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
She can now do nothing for herself, and has to be fed, lifted from bed to chair and back. Does not walk or talk… in fact in quite a poor state.

I saw a lady like that in one of mum residential respite care home she went to few years ago. but it was a dementia registered residential care home.

I think you should ask the manager of the Residential Home what her policy is.

Yes it does seem to be down to policy .

From reading this thread, then meeting a friend of mum from the past today while out walking back from shopping having a chat with her about mum and about 2 nursing care home in our area.

I have phone another care home, that also now been registered dementia to take nursing care 24/7. Its run by catholic nuns. Mum a Catholic, it has a 3 star rating. Manger not in so have to phone tomorrow to make an appointment to view it . Its in our area .

Last edited:

worldtraveller

May 14, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I'll know a little more next week when there is a meeting of the 'professionals' plus me to discuss my wife's care. In January she was assessed as needing nursing care and has been granted Continuing Healthcare funding, but the PCT were persuaded to allow her to live in an EMI residential unit because it was close to my home and my mother was (at the time) living there.
Hi worldtraveller,

I think that is basically correct. If you look at the directory of homes on the new Care Quality Commission website:

http://www.cqc.org.uk/registeredservicesdirectory/rsquicksearch.asp

you can see that two of the top level branches are care homes with nursing and care homes without nursing. Each of those two seperate categories have a sub-category for Dementia(EMI).

I think you really need to get down to the specifics of what nursing-related care the professionals (who exactly?) managing your wife's care are thinking about.

It could be that they are trying to anticipate things (which can be tricky, even for professionals) and are hoping to give you as much notice as possible to start looking for a suitable home. Have they mentioned any time scales?

If it does look as if your wife will need nursing care, you should have her assessed for NHS-Funded Nursing Care or possibly even Continuing Health Care:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/452

Take care,

Sandy