EMI/Dementia?

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi
Sylvia, I think it is a case of wait and see.

Mum has had quietiapine before, rispiradone.

The professionals thought quietiapine wasn't working and changed to rispiradone, which had a drastic effect.
Another progession, conicidence or not? I don't know, but now we are back to quietiapine

Maggie, Mum was anxious before risperidone, but since starting this medication, she is incoherent, shuffling, shaking, slightly listing to one side. Since stopping this medication things haven't improved, probably got worse.

Hi Connie

Yes I am thankful, that Mumand Dad ar being cared for, although I feel guilty, especially when Mum tells me, she loves me and asks me to take her home to my house

Thanks
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear alfjess, what a hard place you're at. What do the staff think? Do they think your mum would be better in the EMI unit? If the medication isn't working, is there anything else they can try?

It does sound as if your mum now needs a secure environment, and perhaps your dad would enjoy spending more time with the men? It must be very wearing for him.

If there is a room free in the EMI unit, would it be possible to try it for a few weeks to see how it goes, or would that mean that your mum would lose her room in the residential unit? I know I was able to get a room for John in EMI, but the main home has a long waiting list. Something else to check out?

Sorry, I've given you more questions and no answers. I know how hard this is for you. I'm still agonising over whether I'm doing the right thing for John.

Whatever you decide, I know you'll do the best possible for both your parents.

Love,

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Mum is still very agitated, to-day.

The CPN phoned and said she has made an appointment with the psycho- geriatrian for Friday.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately? I can't decide what to do for the best, there is a waiting list for the dementia unit. They only take 8 patients.

Meanwhile the staff in the care home are excellent, doing whatever they can and spending lots of time hugging and trying to calm Mum.

Mum is hugging and kissing everyone now. Which is so much out of character for her, she was never demonstrative, just the reverse, a bit prudish.
Now she is telling everyone, repeadedly, she loves them.
Sixties revival????????
I will keep you posted to what happens at Friday's appointment, but I don't what else, anyone can do

Thanks
Alfjess

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Alfjess

I do hope there`ll be some help from the psycho-geriatrician on Friday. It`s such a worry for you. At least the staff at the home sound really fond of your mother, so that must be some comfort to you.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi alfjess, good luck for Friday, I hope the psycho-geriatrician has something up his sleeve that will work for your mum.

It sounds as if the staff are coping with her, so that must be a load off your mund.

Let us know how it goes.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
appointment with the psycho- geriatrian for Friday.

wishing you all the best for Friday .

I keep reading that Anti-psychotic drugs , are not good for people with dementia read this on quietiapine

http://www.alzheimers-research.org.uk/news/article.php?type=Press&archive=1&id=27

http://alzheimers.about.com/cs/research/a/drugs_homes.htm

Anti-psychotic drugs do have a role in short term control of disturbed and aggressive behavior but people taking them need to be regularly assessed to maximize their efficiency. Such drugs should be used along with other therapies to relieve the more distressing symptoms of dementia.

So can see your point when you say
I was only hoping that with more staff to patient ratio and possibly more dementia training,

also I would be asking psycho- geriatrian about
Such drugs should be used along with other therapies to relieve the more distressing symptoms of dementia
what therapies is they to relieve the more distressing symptoms of dementia , while my mother is on this medication

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Well Mum (still very agitated and anxious) was seen by the Psycho- Ger today and he has doubled the dose of Quietiapine, at least for the weekend, if there is no improvement, then he says Diazipam should be tried.

I don't know if I am in agreement with Diazipam, because I don't know a lot about it, will research tomorrow on the net.

I do know that in the past she was perscribed Tamazipam and that didn't work well, but she is so agitated, she needs relief of some kind.

we wil see what Monday brings finger crossed she becomes calmer

Alfjess

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear alfjess,Tamazepam/diazepam are sedation/calming medication,quietapine/risperidone is an anti psychotic medication.Two totally differnt drugs.I would question the reason for any drug prescribed.1.reactions possible to the drug, 2.behaviour expexted when on the drug.3 what adverse reactions may imply to user and onseer.love elainex

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi alfjess, John is on a low dose of quetiapine, plus temazepam at night. The GP prescribed the temazepam before he went into hospital, and the quetiapine was prescribed by the hospital doctor.

The NH is talking about asking the GP to wean him off the temazepam, as they don't think he needs both, though he is still getting spells of agitation. The reaoning is that temazepam/diazepam is very addictive, so the dose has to be continually increased if it is to be effective.

I hope the increased dose of quetiapine works, and you have a better weekend.

Love,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Diazepam/temazepam are similar drugs. They are actually in the group of drugs called Muscle Relaxants. They are prescribed for people with depression, but the actual effect is to relax them by relaxing the muscles. They can be addictive over the long term. They are also prescribed to athletes and sportsmen with muscle strain or injury. Unless they are taken in large quantities over a long period of time, there shouldn't be a problem. But I am no doctor, so discuss with him.

Regards

Margaret

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Thanks for the info re. Diazepam/tamzepam.

I found info, on the net and it said diazepam is vallium, you learn something everyday! so I can understand the addictive side effect.

Something else to discuss with the psychatrist, eg how long does is he prepared to keep Mum on this medication?

To be honest, Mum is soo anxious and agitated, that I am willing to try anything.

I think I will put Mum and Dad on the waiting list for the dementia unit, just in case

The staff in the care home are doing the best they can.

Thanks
Alfjess

glen77

Oct 7, 2007
EMI and dementia unit

Hi, in reply to you question , EMI ,catogory is the same as a DE or dementia care home. if you contact your local authority they would be able to send an up-to-date vacancy list with the type of bed that is available in that home.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I found info, on the net and it said diazepam is vallium, you learn something everyday! so I can understand the addictive side effect.

I was given vallium when I had a bad attract of sciatica , it said on box diazepam so did not know it was vellum , was in so much pain with the sciatica that I did not care what they gave me , only new that they really relax my musical so much that it eased the pain , so took 2 5-mg , then I stood up and collapse , my daughter called ambulance , they told me what diazepam was .

then went on the net look it up , yes they are additive , but then alcohol is also additive, in a hospital or care home they be control , also did find they did take away feeling of anxiety in me us to mellow me out really nicely took away any feeling of wanting alcohol to control the anxiety I was feeling back then .

then sciatica pain stop , so stop taking then , just got a lot's of headache after wards .

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Looks like it will be Diazepam, for Mum tomorrow.

My youngest daughter visited to-day, she didn't stay long.
To begin with, Mum was shouting at the top of her voice "Daddy - Daddy - Daddy" I think that Mum sometimes forgets Dad's name and hears us say Daddy, so she is really calling for my father, rather than her father.

She was still very anxious and agitated.

When my daughter tried to distract and stop Mum from annoying another visitor, (she kept going over to ask him if he was her man!!) Mum tried to hit her and told my daughter to F--- O--, language that my mother would never use.

My daughter then left, because she was very upset. She phoned me from her car, she was soo upset and sobbing, that I thought Mum was really ill or had died.

I phoned the home to get the carers take on things and they have saaidthat they have had a few difficult days eg this morning when trying to get Dad up and dressed, she was screaming and shouting at them.

She is not sleeping so therefore Dad doesn't get to sleep and he refuses to get out of bed in the morning.

I wasn't in favour of Diazepam, but after to-day's events I am willing to give anything a try, if I can keep them together.

But am I doing the right thing by trying to keep them together?

Undecided
Alfjess

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Alfjess

It sounds as if the situation is deteriorating rapidly. Yes, by all means give the Diazepam a trial, it might just settle your mum a bit, and we're all willing to try anything that might help.

But I do think if it doesn't work you have to seriously consider separating them, for your dad's sake. I know how strung out I was when I was getting little sleep with John. Not that he was as agitated as your mum, just up and down like a yoyo, but I was at screaming point needing sleep. Your poor dad must be exhausted.

I think the calling Daddy, Daddy may just be a result of the feelings of panic that your mum has. There is a lady on John's unit who constantly cries out Help, Help. What I mean is, I'm not sure your mum would be any more agitated if they were separated, the agitation seems to go with the territory. I could be wrong, of course, you know them best.

I do hope the Diazepam works.

Love,

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Thanks Skye for your reply, you may be right in saying that in the future I will have to separate them

In my opinion, Mum seems very very slightly more calmer. Still agitated and couldn't sit still for more than a moment.

But when speaking to the Ass. manageress she didn't see any improvement.

The Cpn had phoned first thing this morning before the weekly meeting with the psychatist to get a report on the weekend. We are still awaiting feedback.

The manageress said that she thought that Diazepam would be tried, but if that failed to work then Mum would probably be admitted to the PSYCH ward of our local hospital.

This was suggested to me a few weeks ago, but there were no available beds, for which at the time, I was thankful.

Now I just don't know, if going to hospital would good or bad.

Thanks again everyone

Alfjess

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Temazepam/Diazepam are part of a group of muscle relaxants. I had this explained to me 15 years ago when I had back problems, and was prescribed Diazepam - people of my age my remember it being called Vallium with a big scare at the time cos lots of people were on it as an anti-depressant, and couldn't get off it cos they were addicted.

So I argued against it when my GP prescribed it for muscle pain. But he explained that it would not be addictive in small doses, and would not be addictive if taken over short periods (6 months, say). So I did what he said, and it worked, and I keep a small supply (now out of date!) in case the pain returns.

The drug is useful in lots of cases. As I said, it is a muscle relaxant, so people with sports injuries take it, but it also relaxes people to enable them to sleep and also to be less aggitated about things. I am no medic, take no notice of me, but I think that for a few months, a small dosage might help to regulate a person who is aggitated or sleepless. I took it for about 6 months, maybe a year. I had no side-effects and no problem with stopping it. I think you are talking of years for it to become addictive and less active.

But as I said, I am no medic, so suss it out. Don't be too scared by media stories.

Regards

Margaret

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I do hope that Diazepam help your mother , all you can do is give it a try then go on from they .

As I know how distressing it is to see your mother like that , as thats how my mother was before given Exbixa , at lest as I look back now it was never a cure as I thought it was , but at lest it took away all those distressing symptoms that AZ give the person .

thanking of you , wishing you all the best in finding the right medication that help your mother xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi alfjess, I do hope the Diazepam works for your mum.

I don't know what to say about the psych ward, different people have different experiences. Some seem to be good, and manage to stabilise their patients sufficiently for them to return to their NH, while others sound horrific. Could you ask to go and see the ward?

I'd think if medication settles your mum enough for her to be cared for in the EMI unit, that would be a better option, and your mum and dad might still be able to see each other. Visiting would certainly be easier for you.

Let us know how it goes, I'll be thinking of you.

Love,