Emergency visiting service -- does such a thing exist?

Relm

Jan 24, 2011
I live with my mother in her own house. Rather belatedly, we are in the process of getting a social services assessment which will hopefully provide her with more support.

My mother's behaviour can be very challenging especially as she has a life long problem with anger and all her life has chosen to resolved differences by using aggression.

I'm wondering if there are any services which I can call on when she is behaving in a damaging or destructive way. No one may be in personal danger at those times but she sometimes starts damaging items wantonly and these could be almost anything. (Old photographs, the television, etc.) Alternatively she may decide to throw faeces around. At these times, it's strange to say but she almost seems to get relief from causing damage.

This is not really something to call an ambulance for but at the same time it needs handling. I won't engage in physical restraint for a number of reasons.

If my mother considers something I have done or or failed to do as the cause of distress then it would be very useful to have an alternative face pop in and calm the situation. So far that has only happened by chance but it often works very well.

I wonder if there are any services, probably commercial, which provide such a thing or am I engaging in wishful thinking?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Wishful thinking I think.

maybe you need a referral to mental heath team, they do have crisis teams that they can send out- not sure they would come out in that situation though, depends how often it was I guess

Relm

Jan 24, 2011
Wishful thinking I think. Maybe you need a referral to mental heath team, they do have crisis teams that they can send out- not sure they would come out in that situation though, depends how often it was I guess

What a shame. We really need something like this here. Maybe we will have to privately pay someone a retainer and they could show up quickly at times of sustained crisis to defuse the situation.

The mental health team seem unable to signpost me to any local services which could help. They seem to think if there's a bad mental health incident taking place then I should call an ambulance. I can't consider that option (unless things get incredibly bad) because of the enduring trauma it would cause my mum. I need something half way to that.