Emergency Respite care

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
mum has had cellulitis which is being stubborn to clear up. She also twisted knee which hurt but carried on walking using more weight on other leg and putting weight on arms too. With her usual pain due to rheumatism and osteoarthritis she also had sleep deprivation. She then became completely immobile over night and was having a lie in after carer helped wash her and changed PJs. She woke up and when I was in kitchen, called as she was on floor. District nurse checked legs and confirmed cellulitis doing well. Our carer was good enough to stay overnight as mum not safe.
Heartbreaking decision to arrange respite as I know she's now at higher risk for coronavirus, although she's in isolation and the home is very stringent on cross infection measures. Ive said to mum to rest legs whilst in isolation in room then start to walk again. I still don't know if her problems are physical due to problems described or her dementia worsening as ive also noticed other symptoms such as missing mouth when eating and drinking. Mental health team are supporting home which is brilliant and I'm just crossing fingers. I can't visit but am ringing her on her mobile which she remembers how to use and after isolation they are arranging facetime. At least it's her same respite home so she knows the staff. It was just a case of safety versus risk of coronavirus! Guilt but I couldn't keep awake for 24hrs each day

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Wordy
you've done the best thing by your mum ... not easy for either of you ... you've made sure she gets the support she now needs
get some rest

Wordy

Mar 27, 2020
Thank you, I just feel so guilty and worried she might not improve. At least she has her mobile which she remembers how to use so I'm speaking twice a day and she is in contact with family and friends, although I spent most of yesterday answering phone calls from them and then giving more accurate account of events. It feels like I'm justify myself but more because I'm a bit sensitive right now