Emailed doc. Doc visited.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I usually email the GP surgery once a month with an update on dad. The doctor phoned but couldn’t get hold of me as my phone had died.
There was no urgency. In fact I wasn’t expecting anything to come of it.
As you know dad has declined since Xmas and eating and drinking less.
He went and checked his chest as he was coughing a lot . He was also confused and did ask him if he would have tests to check on his anaemia.. Dad declined any invasive treatment which I had already said to them before but at least they got to hear if from the horses mouth. Dad doesn’t have any chest infection ( I didn’t think he had).. His kidney disease is stable. The doctor said to me that it is general decline at his age and all we can do is “ keep him comfortable “ and report any issues. It was nice of him to go so if anything does happen at least the doctor has seen him..
The decline seems to be faster than it was . Dad only wants half a cup of fluid with me these days. , which is about 120 mls. But if that’s all he wants , that’s what he gets.. Another crisis looming..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad the doctor came to see him. Did he talk about End of Life or mention a "just in case" box of medication?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Im glad the doctor came to see him. Did he talk about End of Life or mention a "just in case" box of medication?
No not a thing. Perhaps he doesn’t think he is there yet. But my friend and I do as we see him more. It would have been a good idea though. The word “ comfortable “ I always thought meant palliative care. He did tell me there was nothing more they could do, at the moment. Whatever that meant.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
General decline, keep him comfortable, nothing more we can do.

That sounds like end of life by any other name to me. I also think you know him best. You have seen the increased deterioration since Christmas and he's eating/drinking less and less. It very much sounds as if his body is starting to shut down.

Perhaps contact the GP and ask about end of life meds.

It is so hard.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
General decline, keep him comfortable, nothing more we can do.

That sounds like end of life by any other name to me. I also think you know him best. You have seen the increased deterioration since Christmas and he's eating/drinking less and less. It very much sounds as if his body is starting to shut down.

Perhaps contact the GP and ask about end of life meds.

It is so hard.
Thank you. I never thought of that. I wish doctors would actually say end of life etc. It would be less confusing!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
'End of life' is really lookin at the last few days of life. I wouldnt expect end of life meds to be in place yet.

he's declining ( I'd expect that) 'Keep him comfortable ' is really more ''dont sweat the small stuff'' - no investingations etc.

What crisis do you think is Loomng? He's not eating an drinking a lot- but he is eating and drinking!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
'End of life' is really lookin at the last few days of life. I wouldnt expect end of life meds to be in place yet.

he's declining ( I'd expect that) 'Keep him comfortable ' is really more ''dont sweat the small stuff'' - no investingations etc.

What crisis do you think is Loomng? He's not eating an drinking a lot- but he is eating and drinking!
I always expect a crisis of something ?