email from Christine Bryden re: "Hands Of Dementia Drugs" Campaign.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
I posted loads of info re: the campaign on numerous forums/emails etc. etc. and would like to also share the following with you all...

Originally posted by Dearth on numerous forums/emails
One more thing - to give you some idea of the importance of these drugs, please read the following by Christine Bryden, herself diagnosed with dementia: I’m sure you’ll agree that this is an important issue worth addressing.

My functioning seems almost normal because of my anti-dementia drugs, without which I could not travel, talk or even shower or dress.
The areas in which people may find improvement are in functioning in daily activities (I am able to shower myself now), and an overall change in function (my mind is clearer).
The drugs can stabilise our symptoms for periods of at least six months to a year, and in some cases a lot longer, giving us valuable time at home to enjoy each day while we can still do a great deal. They won’t make us live longer, but may delay our entry into a nursing home.

Bryden C (2005) Dancing with Dementia: My Story of Living Positively with Dementia London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.[/b]

Regarding the above...

I just received an email from Mrs. Bryden, the author of the book I quoted there (I have also been in correspondence with her previously):

Dear Neil

It was great to hear from you again. I am delighted that you are tackling issues with such passion and energy. It is vital that we people with dementia have advocates such as you who will help us get the anti-dementia drugs we need.

Feel free to continue to quote - it is all in a good cause.

Thank you for all your efforts on the behalf of all those who lack energy, resources and words to get the help we need.

Kind regards

Christine

:) That certainly is positive - and what's more, this is from someone who takes the said drugs, rather than the words of a 'professional' - who knows better about these things than someone experiencing them firsthand?

Fingers crossed that all goes well with this folks!

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
More info about the campaign:

A letter arrived yesterday from my local M.P. stating that he'd addressed the issue with the Secretary of State, and, when a reply is received, he will contact me with relevant info.

So watch this space folks... as and when I get the info, I'll let you know.

:)

N.