Elizabeth Is Missing

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Looking forward to it, I have read the book. I am following how Casualty is deal with dementia too. Last Saturday was a bit unrealistic for most of us but will see how it pans out.
I saw casualty on saterday and some of the things Duffy was saying my ho as done with every one that comes to our house is acted me and tells me that tell him that

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The TV programme was adapted from the debut novel by Emma Healy so I guess that a TV sequel is only likely if she writes a sequel (she has recently published her second book which isn't dementia related).

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I saw casualty on saterday and some of the things Duffy was saying my ho as done with every one that comes to our house is acted me and tells me that tell him that
Have all his colleagues rallied around to solve sitter issues :) yes, the behaviour is how some are but the help? How I wish

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Can I suggest this post is also put on your other forums , specially for those that are new to this site and this rollercoaster of a journey . It really is compelling viewing and an insight into the daily task of being a family unit with this disease chipping away at all levels .
I second this. I didn't know this programme was on, neither do I recall seeing it advertise despite watching the BBC often. It would be nice if a drama like this was coming on, that a note is put on the more widely used parts of this forum too as it could have assisted those getting used or having to come to terms with the illness.

I only knew about it because a work colleague whose dad also has dementia told me about it, and I was just about to start a thread in the Dementia news/campaign part when I did a search and found this thread.

I missed it. And I hope they will show it again. I thought about setting it for record, but then forgot. Bummer
If you have access to BBC i-player on your TV or via its website, you can do as I did this morning and search for its name and watch it that way.

I don't have much to add to what has been written on this thread. What a great drama that was, I thought the symptoms and behaviours weren't too underplayed or exaggerated, there were many I could recognise. I was tearful at the most personal ones, like that 'do no go out' sign on the door, the telling to other family members "that's not your dad/granddad, it's the illness", the accusations of someone taking/moving something, etc. Glenda deserves an award for that, her act was pretty spot on.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
I second this. I didn't know this programme was on, neither do I recall seeing it advertise despite watching the BBC often. It would be nice if a drama like this was coming on, that a note is put on the more widely used parts of this forum too as it could have assisted those getting used or having to come to terms with the illness.

I only knew about it because a work colleague whose dad also has dementia told me about it, and I was just about to start a thread in the Dementia news/campaign part when I did a search and found this thread.

If you have access to BBC i-player on your TV or via its website, you can do as I did this morning and search for its name and watch it that way.

I don't have much to add to what has been written on this thread. What a great drama that was, I thought the symptoms and behaviours weren't too underplayed or exaggerated, there were many I could recognise. I was tearful at the most personal ones, like that 'do no go out' sign on the door, the telling to other family members "that's not your dad/granddad, it's the illness", the accusations of someone taking/moving something, etc. Glenda deserves an award for that, her act was pretty spot on.
Glad you agree and yes like you I was very tearful . My mum and my daughter are so close , so that granddaughter relationship touched me . Definitely needs putting on the front page of this forum not hidden away . If I knew how I would

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
For anyone interested, another brilliant (but heartbreaking!) movie about dementia is "Lovely, still"

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've seen "lovely still" twice and I'd watch it again. Heartbreaking. Martin Landau is brilliant.
I found it poignant, because my husband's symptoms would have followed a similar route, although not as severe. He always recognised me as someone he loved, although he didn't know who I was. But the psychosis and paranoia were there, until he was put on anti psychotics. And yes, I agree, Martin Landau was quite brilliant. And I also found Ellen Burstyn's portrayal brilliant, because we do try so hard to make everything "right and normal" again, don't we?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
We do @LadyA . The first time I saw the film I it took me a while to realise what was going on. I was channel hopping and cooking at the same time and started it part way through when Martin Landau caught my attention. The way it was portrayed mainly through his eyes was inspired. Ellen Burstyn’s portrayal of the forgotten wife moved me to tears.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Sorry to bring this back to the forum - I'm always a pace behind and have just watched Elizabeth is Missing; what poignant and mesmerising, acting, the programme was totally absorbing. Yes, I shed tears, the part that really upset me was the granddaughter, obviously adored her grandmother Maud, the shock on her face was heartbreaking when Maud didn't recognise her.
My daughter's are very close to my mum (PWD) they both help with caring for grandma and display such patience, they make me very proud. They would be very distressed if Grandma failed to recognise them, something for me to remember for the future maybe.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
I got to finally see this in the US. I am now listening to the book on tape. It is rather haunting because you are actually told what Maud is thinking and feeling by Maud herself as she narrates. (The actress who reads the audio version is perfect). Although Glenda was a great actress, viewers are still not totally aware of her thoughts. The book is excellent.
One especially trying evening I googled: "What does it feel like to have dementia?" DTP came up. I've been on here ever since. But, the book Elizabeth is Missing really gives you some insight into what it feels like to live with this terrible disease.
One snippet: Maud knows her daughter is unhappy with her. What was her clue? She has seen their reflection in the mirror and her daughter is making motions like she was strangling her mother. (I laughed out loud.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR