Elizabeth H

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Hi all,
Yes I can say I have come across some very strange reactions regarding Mum who has vascular dementia. The family dont want to know, dont visit even the grandchildren visit rarely, maybe once a year at Christmas which is a shame, because Mum would like to see them, but they cant face seeing her like she is. I say to people I meet that Mum has dementia I will not brush it under the carpet, some people then say to me that their parent or a relative has/had Alzheimer's/dementia so u can exchange info which is quite good. But the majority of people dont particularly want to know, they know sort of what it means, but they are frightened by it or what would happen to them if that did happen. I cannot understand the logic. Surely if they helped put things in place so that when a person developed a brain disease better care could be given, this would alleviate some of the fear. I am sure a lot of parents dont tell their children about granny/grandad's illness because they dont want that fact to be broadcast as it might ruin the family's reputation or perhaps they think that nobody would want to marry their kids just in case the disease passes down the line! How shallow people can be is astounding. Stuff them frankly!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC