Elephants never .....

RobK

Jul 31, 2003
Blackpool, Lancs
Recently read about a lady, sorry unable to credit her by name, who has come up with the marvelous idea of having a recognised symbol for AD sufferers. Her suggestion was a badge with an elephant to symbolise that the wearer has difficulty with memory. There are signs for hearing and visually impaired persons and such a badge would aid people in knowing the difficulties a person may be experiencing, particularly if they are liable to wander or just need help in one to one encounters. The lady cited the problems her husband had experienced with a passer-by who thought he was being ignorant when he couldn't respond to her questions. Her idea was only being considered at local level, perhaps through this site the idea could be considered for national launch and recognition, those in favour?

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
That sounds quite clever but not sure Dad or Aunty would have kept the badge on for long! However might be better accepted by early onset sufferers who initially understand and perhaps accept they have a memory problem?

Kriss

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I think it's a great idea, and in line with the yellow elephant mascot of the alzheimer society, which is mentioned on the homepage.
Wouldn't it be great if they became as recognisable as the pink ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness?
Perhaps they could carry a little message such as 'please be patient with me ....'.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

The AS do have little yellow elephant badges which they use for promotional purposes - they are very nice indeed. You will need to contact the Events Team to see if they can sell you one or two. I've just received a bag of 100 for my Inca Tail Promotion, but I don't know if they do them in singles.

It would be an extremely good way to let other people know about AD. Perhaps the Society might look at having larger badges made up specifically for AD sufferers. I will find out.

Best wishes,

Jude

Last edited:

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
What a great idea!
I always hate the fact that I find myself explaining to people- in front of my mum - that she has memory problems, usually because she has started a sentance in the middle and they don't realise where she is coming from and people aren't patient enough to recognise she has a problem.
I think a small recognisable symbol, in the form of a nice badge is exactly the way to go. Please let's run with this! Any help needed?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

Craig has been on to the Events Department this morning, but there are apparently only the little elephant badges available. If you can all hang on until next week, we can speak to Nada and see if we can organise something here.

I really like this idea very much. Once the symbol became nationally recognised, it would save on all those awkward explanations and also give AD sufferers a lot more respect and dignity.

Best wishes,

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi everyone, I think this is a brilliant idea, hope you can get it off the ground. We would need some media attention so everyone would reconise what it stood for.good luck and if i can help in any way i am always here.storm

Tressa

May 18, 2004
N. Ireland
Sorry, dont want to be a party pooper on this subject but I always worry about telling people about my mum and her Alzheimers in case they take advantage of her. What if these badges were just an advertisement on our loved ones for some yob or dishonest person to steal from them or harm them???? With so many unscrupulous people around and so many scams, such as bogus callers and phone scams, it has just been sheer luck so far that my mum hasn't been caught out. We had travellers at the door one day and persuaded her to buy a suite of furniture and only for one of the neighbours seeing what was going on and ringing me I dread to think what would have happened as my poor mum did not have £400 in the house to give to him. I have lifted her phone to have one of those scams telling you to press a number on your phone because you have won a prize, what if she had answered the phone????

I know there are alot of kind people in the world and the majority would be kind and helpful if they seen someone in need who had Alzheimers, but there are also alot who would take advantage and to have a badge on someone saying I have memory problems/dementia I think might be asking for trouble.

Sorry if nobody agrees with my opinion, just thought I would give a different view point.

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
very good point. i have had similar situations with my father. We had to get solicitors to serve a notice on a firm of estate agents who had pursuaded my dad to sell his house (at a special price). They just wouldnt give up - including visiting the home when he was alone.
But if carers wore them I think it would be a tremendous encouragement to meet others with similar situations

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I'm afraid I agree with Tressa and Frazer. Most people with A/D are never out alone anyway but what's the point in labelling A/D sufferers for the unscrupulous element in society to take advantage of them?

frazer

Sep 9, 2004
london
How about a carer badge with something like - "please excuse me if i punch you, i am thinking of something else"?

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
Just my opinion again -
But you could say that bad things could happen to any of the disabled who already have visible symbols of their disabilities. Bad things happen to our loved ones with or without public signs of their disabilities, but I believe that a small symbol that is recognised by the majority of people who would be willing to help our loved ones deal with their disabilities, far out ways the minority of people who willing take advantage of any weakness be it dementia, old age, physical disabilities or so-called 'fit' people who get caught on an off day - just like the double glazing salesman that caught me on the hop and had me agreeing to a quote - I have already got double glazing!!!!

Chris

May 20, 2003
Badges already worn universally !!

Originally posted by frazer
But if carers wore them I think it would be a tremendous encouragement to meet others with similar situations

actually .... carers do wear them already and have been for a few years (the plain elephant one and the series of elephoants doing things - that Tesco sold for us - holding a bunch of floweres or a watering can - they were really cute) .

So if carers are wearing them and now people who have dementia wear them - where will that get us ?? apart from the ultimate aim that all people are nice to all people !!

Also due to the Tesco sales and promo sales over the years of the plain elephant badges, lots of people who are not carers or have dementia wear them.

Sorry to pour cold water !!!!!

JoJo

Sep 25, 2003
Shropshire
Dear all

On the subject of Alz sufferers and them revealing their condition through badges etc .... i felt I had to share this.

My dad is only 60 so unless you knew he had Alz and Picks Disease you wouldn't know so anything which can make his behaviour - which some perceive as odd! - be taken as normal is welcome by me.

But Dad has found it a great way to get rid of telesales callers. He stills answers the phone although he isn't hugely confident but as soon as he tells the double glazing/insurance/kitchen/conservatory sales person he has Alz for some reason they hang up!!!!

Jo

RobK

Jul 31, 2003
Blackpool, Lancs
Useful points

Thank you all for the positive feedback on this one. As I say I can't take personal credit for the idea and I am glad that it has generated some discusion on the pros and cons. As Kerry-Jane points out we are all vulnerable to those less scrupulous who would take advantage but this applies to all those who display signs of weakness, in my father's case he will answer the door; he's 81, white haired, shuffles along with a stick, wears glasses and two hearing aids and only when you talk to him do you realise that he is also 'confused', doesn't take long to add up that he is vulnerable to deceivers. He has signed up with God knows how many power companies and they are supposed to be reputable public firms. From the overall impression of the replies so far I would say there are some who would benefit from wearing a badge and it is by no means suggested that these would have to be compulsory. As for your dad JoJo, bless him for being able to share with others the fact that he has Alz, sounds like he gets some fun from this unfortunate condition. Thank you Jude for taking this idea forward so quickly, hope the rest of the Society feel so positively.

Rob

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

Well, we've certainly generated a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of the badges so far. I am still in favour, for the following reasons:

Badges would be a matter of personal choice, in case anyone was in any way concerned about others taking advantage.

AD sufferers seldom venture out alone without a carer, unless in the very early stages. My father was driven home on two memorable occasions by some extremely kind people, when he'd lost his way.

The main threat to elderly people seems to occur through door to door sales and those blasted telephone sales companies... [and I've developed some great strategies with dealing with those people now...]

Most people don't target blind people with white sticks and seeing eye dogs as potential victims of fraud, so I don't feel that an AD Badge would have serious repercussions, unless they were out alone.

Having a recognisable badge would save all the lengthy explanations when dining out and shopping with AD victims.

Let's continue the debate.

Jude

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Elephants never

Can I stick my twopennoth in?

On the whole I am in favour of badges provided we can get enough media coverage so that everyone becomes familiar with what they represent.

In the meantime I carry a small card to give to anyone with whom we are dealing that I think needs to know the circumstances.
As below:-

..........................My companion suffers
.......................................from
...........................ALZHEIMER'S DIEASE
.............................Please excuse any
.......................inappropiate conversation
.................................or behaviour
...................................Thankyou

This saves lenthy explanations or feelings pf embarassment when talking in front of my wife.

Cheers
barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Barraf,

Your card idea is certainly very good. It is so diffcult to speak about AD in front of loved ones, as they either tend to become upset or indignant and maintaining a sense of dignity is paramount, I feel. I find myself having a quiet word with restaurant managers and shop sales staff on a very regular basis. I have never had any negatives responses, since people seem to be very understanding once they are aware of the situation.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Elephant Badges Specially for AD Sufferers

Dear All,

The plot so far - just to keep everyone up to date .....

I have suggested to the other Hosts that we ask Nada to approach the Promotions Dept this week with a view to ascertaining whether Badges could be produced.

Depending upon their answer, we could then run a democratic poll on TP and gain input from every single Member as to whether they were for or against the idea. Also, what type of badge, in terms of buttons, clips, etc.

Hope this meets with eveyone's approval. Stay tuned....

Jude