Electronic Tagging

jimbob

Dec 28, 2007
Leicestershire
individual problems/ individual solutions

Hi jimbob - I posted on this 'debate' way back when ..... and whilst always trying to remain open-minded about any means of 'assistance' to preserve as much as I can of my mother's independence (living alone)and seeing this type of technology as a possible means to achieving that, my reservations remain much the same.....

Is this the right focus? The purpose should surely be solely in the interests of the person who needs the assistance (I believe we are a long way yet from the type of thinking in the Children's Act that the 'child's interests' should always come first - and carers are a secondary consideration).

And herein lies to me the crux of the 'ethics' or the practicalities ..... how can you rely on a 'device' if the person needing it cannot be expected to remember to carry it with them - let alone where they might have left it last or even what it is for? The only way to ensure they are at all times in 'possession' is to 'tag' (ugh sorry - hate that phrase) ... they have no freedom of choice ...... or what ability to change their minds in more lucid moments? Are we not then denying them their rights to apply choice when they are able?

I have removed what 'assisted technology' mum had in her home as she failed to understand the purpose - it had been installed pre-dementia diagnosis (a 'Care on Call system' to deal with falls due to osteo-arthritis and a first hip replacement). Once dementia was clearly in play - she was frustrated the 'gadget' didn't ring her up to check how she was, refused to wear the necklace she needed to activate the alarm or generally hid it or misplaced it .... it caused far more anxiety than it could ever do good .....

Just my experience ..... and yes, I am trying to keep an open mind ........ I feel bad enough she carries a note of my contact details in her bag in case she gets lost on the rare occassions she feels able to wander further than the corner shop ... and has her house key (willingly) on a ribbon around her neck ..... it may be promoting independence but I can't help but feel it is demeaning to any self-confidence ...

When someone can convince me that tagging is not a substitute for adequate care and supervision (and I am not suggesting that is only provided by the primary carer but with support of professional services and a society which understands and meets the unique needs of dementia sufferers) I might sleep easier on the issue ...

Just my personal view but in so many walks of life we are keen to use technology simply because it is available - it does not necessarily mean because it is there it is the best solution. I'm an old-fashioned humanitarian techno-phobe at heart, I guess.:eek:

Karen

Hi Karen, I understand your concerns re technology, i also agree with you that individuals interests should be at the forefront of all decisions re any intervention, technology or otherwise,i am certainly not advocating the technology is the answer to all the difficulties of people with dementia or any other type of impairment face,( in fact i have had articles published stressing this very point that technology should not be seen as the answer to all ills) what i do know is that technology works for a lot of people and their carers/family etc. and can contribute a great deal to care packages. What needs to be taken into account when prescribing any solutions to problems/difficulties is the individuals needs firstly including life history, personality, and surrounding circumstances, this includes carers/families etc. all of these will have a bearing on the choice of solution which may or may not include technology.
You have said that you have removed assistive technology (community alarm system) from your mothers environment because it was causing her to be become fustrated and anxious, in those circumstances i`m sure that was the right thing to do, but you must remember that this is one case, many people with dementia and other problems quite happily live with comunnity alarms and various other types of technology. Neither is assistive technology in any way a substitute for adequate care and supervision, it can be part of the solution and that is all.
Concerning ethics i would ask what is more ethical, managing the risks of someone possibly getting lost while retaining as much personal independence as possible or locking someone in their home (causing personal anxieity and stress) to safeguard them against the dangers of leaving,or possibly placing them in a secure residential facility, (the latter two solutions have been commonly used for many years as a solution for people with dementia) part of this argument is also about allowing risk taking, we all take risks everyday, do we have to stop this important element of independence because we have a type of dementia? i think not but as they say horses for courses and all that, my major concern is that people are able to maintain their independence despite any illnesse etc. that they have while managing the risks. This is what we all do on a daily basis why should we deprive others of this right?

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi All,

Being a person who has Dementia and knows the problems caused, by this horrible illness and the restrictions it places on us, I think Assistive Technology should be discussed further. I also think that it should be done by asking those who have the illness, as I have done on various occassions. Most of the people that I have spoken to have agreed that this is a brilliant idea, having a device which gives us the freedom to go about our daily tasks, whether it be walking,shopping or visiting friends, without having to have a carer with us at all times.
Yes we need our carers, but we also realise that our carers have the need for some time to themselves if it is possible, their life is also hell as they are going through this with us.

This theme that it is against our civil liberties really gets me and many others, for the simple reason that when we are diagnosed with this illness, we lose our civil liberties because we realise that from then on we are going to have to rely on others for support. I doubt whether these civil liberties people have any idea what its like to have this illness or its problems. I carry a mobile phone and an Alzheimers Society help card with me at all times, but I realise that there are many areas where a mobile phone signal will fail. Everyone who carries a phone like this can be monitored but that does not bother me as it is in my best interests and I have nothing to hide.

Assistive Technology is on way of reclaiming part of our lives back, and enjoying whats left of our life as best as we can. As long as it is monitored by a reputable company then we have nothing to worry about, and I do feel that the Society will ensure that these companies are reputable as it is in their best interests and ours.
Some of these devices are two way, having a mobile device like a phne which is carried by the person with Dementia, and a seperate device which is in the home and is monitored and operated by the carer.
Before we make judgements we should consider both sides of this and see which is best for all those in need.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Ken

What a sensible post -- as ever.

It's too late for us now, but if we had had a device like that when John was still at home, it would have been of great benefit to us both.

John was still physically very fit long after his mental abilities had diminished, and his speech had gone completely. He was not a wanderer, but liked to go for long walks. He would have been unable to use a phone, or give anyone any information verbally.

A tracking device would have allowed him to retain his freedom to do this, and given me some peace of mind when he was out.

He would not have been able to give his consent, but knowing John, he would never have objected to my knowing where he was.

You are absolutely right. In the right circumstances, technology can be a blessing.

Love to you and Jan,

dtboon

Nov 30, 2005
dtboon

has anyone out there used a tracking device and if so did it work?
i really do not give a fig about my wifes privacy.i would like to be able to find her quickly when she goes walkabout.