Elderly Theft: Robbing the Relatives

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Tonight on ITV Granada - check your own region

2017-11-30_165310.png

Note: Could laws designed to protect the most vulnerable actually be leading to a rise in theft within families?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There were some sad stories but I've heard much worse on here some of which are still on-going.
Nick £50k off someone with dementia and get a suspended sentence, don't have a TV licence and you get sent to prison!
K

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I agree...what is the point in suspended sentences for any crime ... seems just like a slap on the wrist! I hope however the programme which was right to highlight how the power can be abused...hasn't put any elderly or in fact anyone off making their LPAs...I still have faith that the majority of attorneys do a diligent job of handling finances for the total benefit of the pwd.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
A couple of years ago my dad lost his wallet and could not remember where he had been so I cancelled his cards for him. I asked him how much money was in the wallet, he said about £30 so I thought that's not too bad, could be worse. A few weeks later he had a letter from the local police station saying his wallet had been found and would we like to go and collect it so we did. Everything was still in the wallet, debit cards and £300 in cash. Apparently he had left it in Iceland (frozen foods) while shopping and somebody had handed it to the police as he did not have an address or phone number in the wallet. We never found out who handed it in.

A couple of months ago my son took the train to a town a few stops from us to meet some friends. When he got off the train he realised his wallet had fallen out of his pocket with his cards, driving licence, return ticket and money inside. He still had his phone so he cancelled his cards and borrowed some money from a friend to get home with. Later that same evening my husband was watching TV and the doorbell rang. When he went to the door, there were two young portuguese girls who asked for my son by name, husband said he is out. Then the girls handed my husband my son's wallet and said we found this wallet on the train and got the address from the driving licence. They happened to live not too far from us and actually took the time to walk the wallet and all of it's contents to our front door. Husband was amazed and offered them the contents of our son's wallet (about £30) to treat themselves. They refused and said they were happy just to get it back to its rightful owner. How nice was that. I sent my son a text to say 'I have your wallet' even before he got home. One of the girls said where she worked so my son found out who they were and was able to thank them.

Not everyone is bad, there are some lovely honest people around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti