Elder abuse and Comic Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah

Jan 28, 2005
Hello everyone

I am one of the Society's press officers based at the national office in London. I'm posting this in the hope you may be able to help me support a campaign being launched by Comic Relief next month which is focusing on elder abuse.

The Alzheimer's Society is one of a number of key organisations and charities backing the campaign, which aims to increase public awareness and understanding of elder abuse and ensure that vulnerable older people know how to get help if they need it.

Abuse can strike in many different ways and doesn’t always leave a physical mark on its victims. It can be emotional, sexual, verbal and financial, and is not restricted to care homes.

I understand that for many this is an extremely sensitive and upsetting issue, but to support this campaign we need to hear how your lives have been affected by abuse. If you have experiences of abuse which you feel would be relevant to this campaign I would really like to hear from you. Due to the sensitive nature of the issue you can also email me in confidence at hlaslett@alzheimers.org.uk or call me on 020 7306 0813.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Hannah

ps. Thank you to those who have already responded to a similar request posted in the Dec/ Jan edition of the newsletter.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Hannah

I'd just like to make the point that the term abuse needs to be used with care.

Jan is able to remain in her special chair only with a waist belt. This was true of her use of other chairs before we found the wonder chair. Because a nurse from the local assessment unit saw her being 'restrained', this was reported officially as abuse, which is most certainly was not.

I just mention this to illustrate that abuse CAN be misconstrued. Of course it is always better for people to report possible abuse, even it is not.

Delilahtwinkle

Apr 4, 2017
Hello everyone

I am one of the Society's press officers based at the national office in London. I'm posting this in the hope you may be able to help me support a campaign being launched by Comic Relief next month which is focusing on elder abuse.

The Alzheimer's Society is one of a number of key organisations and charities backing the campaign, which aims to increase public awareness and understanding of elder abuse and ensure that vulnerable older people know how to get help if they need it.

Abuse can strike in many different ways and doesn’t always leave a physical mark on its victims. It can be emotional, sexual, verbal and financial, and is not restricted to care homes.

I understand that for many this is an extremely sensitive and upsetting issue, but to support this campaign we need to hear how your lives have been affected by abuse. If you have experiences of abuse which you feel would be relevant to this campaign I would really like to hear from you. Due to the sensitive nature of the issue you can also email me in confidence at hlaslett@alzheimers.org.uk or call me on 020 7306 0813.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes

Hannah

ps. Thank you to those who have already responded to a similar request posted in the Dec/ Jan edition of the newslette

Status
Not open for further replies.