Effects of General Anaesthetic on Dementia..

Hereward46

Nov 13, 2013
My husbands AD was in its early stages and we were living a very full life until 6 weeks ago when he fell and broke his femur which ended up with a partial hip replacement.
Altho' I asked it it could be done with a spinal block instead of a GA the anaesthetist said no.
The result is a dramatic downturn in my husbands level of confusion,a dramatic change in lifestyle , fitness,ability to drive, ability to speak .....you name it,it's changed.
I was told at the hospital that he might regain some of his mental capacity but it could not be guaranteed................has anyone else come across this ? Is there any hope ?
This sudden downturn is hard to cope with.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Welcome to TP.
My husband entered hospital with a sore on his foot, had to have an emergency thigh level amputation and his dementia, which was not too bad before, spiralled horrendously. The trauma, anaesthetic, morphine overdose due to his Stage 3 kidney disease and subsequent need for rescusitation all contributed. Yes, a sudden downturn is hard to cope with.

I do sincerely hope that your husband's dementia does improve.
I'm afraid to say that my husband's didn't and he ended up going straight into a nursing home after spending months in both the acute and mental health hospitals.
I hope someone with a more positive response will reply to you. I am so sorry.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. Welcome to TP.
I am sorry to hear about your husband.
I have no idea why they couldn't do a spinal block for your husband. I had one with some sedation for my full hip replacement a couple of months ago.

I do hope you start to see an improvement in your husbands downturn soon. I do know this can take some time.
I'm also wondering if some of your husbands symptoms could be caused by pain.

Sorry not much help I know.

Last edited:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
my mother's dementia first became truly apparent after her first hip replacement op. So when she had to have her other hip done after another fall, and aged 97, I dreaded the effect it would have. For the first few weeks she was really out of it and I felt I had completely lost her but to my amazement she did rally eventually and wasn't much worse than before the anaesthetic.

I was told spinals were out because you couldn't guarantee that someone with dementia would remain completely still, there was a risk of them trying to do something that could harm them like trying to get off the operating table.

I do hope he recovers more to his previous point, it is early days, so fingers crossed.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My OH faces a spinal op reading this makes me very worried but we have no choice in the matter anymore .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Acute confusion is fairly common with many people of all ages after a GA.

The chance of it happening increases with age and people with dementia are more prone.
Recovery can be as short as a hour or so or as long as days/weeks/months.

Best thing is to try and have a serious chat with the anaesthetist involved about the anaesthetic used and depth of anaesthesia, don't rely on them reading notes and/or patient records.

Blogg

Jul 24, 2014
Unfortunately my dad's story is similar to that of Saffie's husband. Was your husband offered a period of rehabilitation ?

Hereward46

Nov 13, 2013
Unfortunately my dad's story is similar to that of Saffie's husband. Was your husband offered a period of rehabilitation ?

Yes he did have 1 week of rehab which was useless.....it just depressed him. All patients had their own very smart rooms and the staff were good with the medical care,but that is where it ended. They were not Dementia trained and between delivering,pills ,drinks, meals no one came to talk to him. Many other patients felt like my OH....ie that they were in prison. I couldn't get him out fast enough..

Hereward46

Nov 13, 2013
Acute confusion is fairly common with many people of all ages after a GA.

The chance of it happening increases with age and people with dementia are more prone.
Recovery can be as short as a hour or so or as long as days/weeks/months.

Best thing is to try and have a serious chat with the anaesthetist involved about the anaesthetic used and depth of anaesthesia, don't rely on them reading notes and/or patient records.

I did spk to the anaesthetist and told him of my concerns but he would not agree to the spinal block...said that pain and trauma would have the same effect.