effects of flu jab

jfm

Sep 6, 2011
Wonder if anyone has noticed adverse reactions to the flu jab in alzheimers sufferers? My mum had the flu jab, and ever since she has been suffering from what looks like narcolepsy. Before the jab, she was confused but healthy and active. Since the jab, she can't stay awake, if she sits on a chair her head lolls forwards and she is asleep immediately. I have heard that Pandemrix was suspected in cases of narcolepsy in the young and is not prescribed for under 18's, wonder if any similar side effects noted in the elderly for this or other anti-virals.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother has received the flu jab every year for the past 11 years and I've not noticed any side effects. My husband and I get it every year also. The most we get is an itch and a bit of a stiffness at the jab site for a day or two.

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I have said no to a flu jab for my husband who is in very late stage of dementia. He refused himself last year so I took that over as his request for this year too.

I am a healthy person but just recovering from shingles when I had my jab - told that it would not be a problem. Following the jab I was extremely tired and quite unwell and was sleeping for 12 hrs each night (usually I need only 7 hrs).

This extreme tiredness lasted about 1 week.

memphisminstrel

Aug 18, 2011
Mum had the jab, her arm swelled up in the area where the vacc was and there was a hard lump and lots of bruising.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Memphisminstrel, that sounds like someone was bad at giving the jab! My dau had a similar reaction, but she knew from how much the jab hurt that she was going to - she said it was the same nurse as she had two years ago, and she had the same lump & bruising then! The nurse at my GP's practise could get a medal in giving injections/taking bloods - she's a maestro with a needle!:D You just feel the tiniest pinch, and she never leaves a mark!

As regards side effects, thankfully, I've never reacted to the flu shots. This year was William's second time getting it only - and he got his pneumonia jab this year too as he'd never had that, and has had a lot of chest infections this year. He's never had any reactions either.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
It does worry me a bit that the doctors don't seem to expect this to be an issue where the patient might wish to withold consent. Last time I went with my mum to the GP he examined her for her regular check-up related to other health matters then whipped out a needle and administered the flu jab before we even knew what was happening. Fortunately she had no adverse reaction, although she was a bit sleepier for a couple of weeks. I know she has it every year without problem, so I wasn't too concerned.