EBIXA - memantine

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Monique and I visited her neurologist yesterday.

Did a few tests et al and at the end reviewed Monique's medications and put her on EBIXA - memantine in addition to Aricept. I get the feeling this is a fairly powerful drug and Monique has to build up to it over a period of 4 weeks.

According to the (French) neurologist this treatment has only been available for the last year but is an excellent addition to Aricept.

Anybody know anything about this 'new' drug which apparently has no side effects?

regards

Michael

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Dearth hi,

Thanks for the thread - I was being lazy in not making an internet search myself but it was difficult to make the time yesterday and this forum would have known about it if there was really important stuff to know - anyway this is the basic facts from my surfing..

This drug treats the symptoms of
Alzheimer’s disease only and is not a
cure - there is no evidence that it can
halt or reverse the process of cell
damage that causes the disease. It is
also important to realise that this drugs
will not help everyone who tries it.

So thats it - makes the symptons better - the cost appears to be about £74 per 28 days....

I guess its been prescribed because the neurologist tried to persuade Monique to allow me to have a cleaner come in to help with basic house work - which I want but Monique was adamant she did not want that! Great! Still as others post there is no point in fighting over things and my housework skills will improve like my cooking skills over the last couple of years.... I hope.

The problem is that Monique will not admit there is a problem - even though the situation now is that if I go out for more than 1/2 to 3/4 hour she panics and does not know where I am....

I really need someone to come in a few hours a week just to give me some time for myself outside the computer and house... For Monique it means an admission that she cannot cope and that she would regard as failure - In fact she sometimes washes a few glasses and cups (not really cleaning them but certainly making an effort) - I think later I will need some real help - the problem is getting Monique to acquiesce to a stranger being in the house... Not problems like many have got on this forum but still ... difficult for me at the moment.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Michael E said:
I really need someone to come in a few hours a week just to give me some time for myself outside the computer and house... For Monique it means an admission that she cannot cope and that she would regard as failure - In fact she sometimes washes a few glasses and cups (not really cleaning them but certainly making an effort) - I think later I will need some real help - the problem is getting Monique to acquiesce to a stranger being in the house... Not problems like many have got on this forum but still ... difficult for me at the moment.

Just a thought Michael - maybe you could say to her that having someone come in would make things easier for you... so that you could have a break also.

I don't mean this as a way of 'blackmailing' her into complying, but I know that the 'carer' also has needs too, and maybe explaining this to her will help?

I'm not professing to say "Hey... this is a good idea which will work" - naturally you will know what's best and my opinion here might not be of use... it's just a thought.

As to info. on Ebixa... the folk who made it sent me some things through the post...

I've got a U.K. address, but maybe you could contact them through here:
http://www.lundbeck.com/ourbusiness/Physicians_web/Ebixa/default.asp

and there's also an email address...
information@lundbeck.com

I know I contacted them via email, so maybe you can do likewise.

Hope this helps you.

My best wishes to you and Monique.

:)

Neil.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Dearth hi,

Thanks for the email address - just mailed them with some of my concerns.

I have tried all the 'tricks' I know - I need the help... Wouldn't it be nice if... Such a big house I cannot expect you to cope with all this...... A-Z

Like others I have no problems with porkies, if they smooth the way, but she has a strong character and her memory can be remarkable sometimes - but thanks for the thoughts.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Michael E said:
Dearth hi,
thanks for the thoughts.

Not a problem - If you do get to convince Monique re: help, please share... I'm not involved directly in anyone's care on a personal level (i.e. I mean relative), but do so as part of my job... so any info. would be helpful to me also... I know that every individual has different needs/strengths/limitations etc. etc. but any info. can be helpful as a 'what if we try this' sort of thing.

And I hope you get the answers you need from the email address.

Take care.

:)

N.