Ebixa (Memantine) a slight improvement not mutch but anything is welcome

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
Hello everyone,
HER MEDICATION IS TWICE A DAY... 5MG MORNING/...NIGHT

TONIGHT 13/DEC//2006
MEDICATION NOW UPPED TO MAX 10MG/MORNING/..NIGHT

UP TO NOW THERES BEEN A VERY GOOD RESPONSE TO IT,AND DOCTORS UPPED THE DOSAGE,SO FAR SO GOOD WILL KEEP ALL INFORMED...

16/DEC/2006
AMAZING PROGRESS TODAY,NO AGITATION SHE WAS VERY RESPONSIVE TO EVERYTHING AROUND HER,AND IT WAS REALLY GOOD TO HAVE A HER BACK TO A WEE BIT OF HER OLD SELF,HERES HOPING IT CONTINUES..

not trying to put any false hopes to anybody just my own thoughts on my wifes reaction in the last few weeks,and been on medication (Ebixa) on this approx 3 weeks..

EBIXA(MEMANTINE)
HAS DEFINATELY STABILISED MY WIFES CONDITION,I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED

She is at present in a assesment ward for Social work and home care,but what I really want to say is that we had already tried this drug,but!! her first reaction was very very bad,she was bouncing aganist the walls of our house as soon as she got up in the morning,and that was just after taking two small doses of this,but that was about 3 years ago.
also the Consultant at the time did not recommend this drug at all,as he said the Scottish Office has not passed this as being freely prescribed,but unknown to him I had a friend in his ward at the time,who told me that Ebixa was given daily on that ward,to cut a long story short,we are now back on his ward and thankfully there are now younger doctors on there that put my wife back on at a very low dosage,and that is now about 4 weeks ago,after the first week there was no sign of anything,2nd week simlar,3rd week very little. 4th week....
Friday 24 November 2006,there was a big change for the good,she even was singing lets twist again like we did last summer,and knew a few words of the rest of the verses,I will keep you all posted but as i said I have seen this before 2 steps forward and 5 back,so no promises from me just as I have seen it tonight..heres hoping,will keep you all posted on the good or bad news......

Saturday 25 november visited hospital today at 1-45 pm she was sitting in the tv lounge that they use there with 2 nurses,reconised me straight away and said where have you been I have been waiting on you all day,i took her to her room and gave her a drink of water and sweets,but she seemed very agitated as she usually is,had to walk her around the ward for about an hour before i got her settled down,thankfully my sister came in,and that was a really good distraction she reconised her straight away and hugged her,another Plus..
7-15 tonight,I went and back to hospital and she was in her own room taking a cup of tea,another good sign,will keep you all informed so far so good fingers crossed for tomorrow

05 december
very mutch the same stability,she was a bit agitated over this weekend,but now back to her better self,also speech has been very mutch clearer this past few weeks..heres hoping it can continue..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya,STABILITY IS WHAT IT IS FOR..NOT A CURE!!GREAT THAT IT IS HELPING YOU..
as i have already said,her consultant would not give it a try,but our GP a really brilliant doctor prescribed it for her, my wife tried this out and it was giving her really bad side effects,in my small opinion it all depends what stage of AD that this drug can help,as it says on the packet for MILD TO SEVERE, anyway I am thankfull for any improovment to my wifes condition.. fingers crossed..

Last edited:

hairwench

Oct 1, 2006
wisbech
my husband was put on Ebixa in july,
his consultant was a very old guy who insisted he didn't need to listen to the government or anyone else and didn't care what they said. He said that if it was a member of his own family, that's what he would put them on, I am grateful for this attitude, no miracles but stability and a bit of hope for the future.:)

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
Ebixa memintine

as i have already said,her consultant would not give it a try,but our GP a really brilliant doctor prescribed it for her, my wife tried this out and it was giving her really bad side effects,in my small opinion it all depends what stage of AD that this drug can help,as it says on the packet for MILD TO SEVERE, anyway I am thankfull for any improovment to my wifes condition.. fingers crossed..

05 december
very mutch the same stability,she was a bit agitated over this weekend,but now back to her better self,also speech has been very mutch clearer this past few weeks..heres hoping it can continue..

Last edited:

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
icare2 said:
Hello everyone,
HER MEDICATION IS TWICE A DAY... 5MG MORNING/...NIGHT
not trying to put any false hopes to anybody just my own thoughts on my wifes reaction in the last few weeks,and been on medication (Ebixa) on this approx 3 weeks..

EBIXA(MEMANTINE)
HAS DEFINATELY STABILISED MY WIFES CONDITION,I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED

She is at present in a assesment ward for Social work and home care,but what I really want to say is that we had already tried this drug,but!! her first reaction was very very bad,she was bouncing aganist the walls of our house as soon as she got up in the morning,and that was just after taking two small doses of this,but that was about 3 years ago.
also the Consultant at the time did not recommend this drug at all,as he said the Scottish Office has not passed this as being freely prescribed,but unknown to him I had a friend in his ward at the time,who told me that Ebixa was given daily on that ward,to cut a long story short,we are now back on his ward and thankfully there are now younger doctors on there that put my wife back on at a very low dosage,and that is now about 4 weeks ago,after the first week there was no sign of anything,2nd week simlar,3rd week very little. 4th week....
Friday 24 November 2006,there was a big change for the good,she even was singing lets twist again like we did last summer,and knew a few words of the rest of the verses,I will keep you all posted but as i said I have seen this before 2 steps forward and 5 back,so no promises from me just as I have seen it tonight..heres hoping,will keep you all posted on the good or bad news......

Saturday 25 november visited hospital today at 1-45 pm she was sitting in the tv lounge that they use there with 2 nurses,reconised me straight away and said where have you been I have been waiting on you all day,i took her to her room and gave her a drink of water and sweets,but she seemed very agitated as she usually is,had to walk her around the ward for about an hour before i got her settled down,thankfully my sister came in,and that was a really good distraction she reconised her straight away and hugged her,another Plus..
7-15 tonight,I went and back to hospital and she was in her own room taking a cup of tea,another good sign,will keep you all informed so far so good fingers crossed for tomorrow

05 december

Dream as if you will live for ever -
Live as if you will die today

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya icare2,
So pleased that Ebixa has brought about some improvement in your wife's condition - it must feel so good to have her know you and your sister. Here's hoping that it continues for a long time.
Love Helen

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Good news

It sounds like Ebixa is really helping.

My wife has been on it for a year. What a relief. No more violence at night, no more tantrums during the day, a release from a depressive state brought about by frustration and she is much calmer and pleasant to be with again.

Her hallucinations are now funny people, which she waves and smiles at, as against the ones that were trying to poison her and generally do her in.

Of course, there are still moments which are a little sticky, but on the whole, the experience of the drug is a good one.