Eating

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Today Mom has refused food for the first time. She is losing weight quite quickly and has been put on supplement drinks. She has always had a good appetite, but today won't open her mouth to be fed. Wondering if this is the next step.
Her sleeping is also worrying me as she goes into such a deep sleep so quickly that we have trouble waking her up. I have a feeling Mom is deteriorating quite quickly now, and I just wonder how much longer she has to suffer with this awful horrible illness. :(

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hi Wendy, you have probably already thought of this but did Mom understand that it was food? Although my Mum has good eyesight her brain often does not "see" what is in front of her and her understanding is so poor that she doesn't understand what she is expected to do. Might also be worth checking that there is no discomfort in her mouth - sore gums, mouth ulcer etc.

Hope she is doing a bit better today, maybe she was just very tired yesterday and it was just too much effort to eat.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi Wendy, you have probably already thought of this but did Mom understand that it was food? Although my Mum has good eyesight her brain often does not "see" what is in front of her and her understanding is so poor that she doesn't understand what she is expected to do. Might also be worth checking that there is no discomfort in her mouth - sore gums, mouth ulcer etc.

Hope she is doing a bit better today, maybe she was just very tired yesterday and it was just too much effort to eat.

Hi. Thanks for response. Mom is on pureed food and is fed by the carers as she is not capable of feeding herself. They have told us today she is happy to eat soup and ice cream and yoghurt, so I suppose that is something. Still a worry though. xx

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Wendy my mum has gone like this with food too, she sometimes won't open her mouth - as if she can't remember the action required to eat food, she will turn her head away or tell the carers to eat it or whoever else is there. I was told by one of the dementia nurses at the home mum is in that the sweet taste stays the longest out of all the tastes so it might be worth trying to feed her on sweet things like fruit yogurts and puréed fruit and cream etc. like your mum, my mum seems to sleep a lot more and like you I don't know how long this will go on for - it's a long painful drawn out process that is horrible for her and her family who have to watch it happening.
X

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi Wendy my mum has gone like this with food too, she sometimes won't open her mouth - as if she can't remember the action required to eat food, she will turn her head away or tell the carers to eat it or whoever else is there. I was told by one of the dementia nurses at the home mum is in that the sweet taste stays the longest out of all the tastes so it might be worth trying to feed her on sweet things like fruit yogurts and puréed fruit and cream etc. like your mum, my mum seems to sleep a lot more and like you I don't know how long this will go on for - it's a long painful drawn out process that is horrible for her and her family who have to watch it happening.
X[/QUOTE

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. A carer told us today that Mom is eating more sweet tasting food and refusing savoury food. They are feeding her yoghurt and ice-cream, jelly etc. As you say its a long painful drawn out process that is just awful to watch. Thanks for reply. x:)

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there
My mother has now started to stop eating - she is in a deep deep sleep most of time and wont wake for meals. I go in at lunch and just keep putting different foods off plate to her lips till she reacts. If I can get reaction the chances are I can get her to eat most of her meal - esp her sweet has mum always had a sweet tooth :)- but its a race before she falls a sleep again. The staff are really good and have now started assisting her to eat when Im not there and keep me informed hows shes done(they will also give her soup etc if she wakes later) but I guess its a further step down this awful journey we are taking together. But I know this sounds silly I actually get a nice feeling as I feed my mum. Shes cared for me so long I find it comforting to be able to care for her - of course I wish I didn't have to like this but yes I find it a comfort xxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968