Eating without denture

bishen

Jul 26, 2013
My mother is 84 and has Alzheimer’s.

She has worn the current denture for about 2 years. She cared a lot about the denture because she knew she wouldn’t be able to eat without it.

However, she takes off the denture whenever she eats recently and put it back after the meal. As a result it takes her 1.5 hours for a meal and she’s losing weight. When I ask her why she takes it off, she says she doesn’t, as always, denying

Any help is appreciated.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @bishen
it may be that her gums are playing up, or your mum simply doesn't feel comfortable or like eating with her dentures, they may no longer fit so well

maybe change her diet to one with softer food which doesn't need much chewing but is high in calories eg lots of thick soups, mashed potato and veg, fish cooked in sauces, shepherds pie, rice pudding, blancmange, trifle, ice cream

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @bishen
Argh - denture issues. That was the thing that flagged up Mum's dementia at the outset.
Mum ended up just wearing her top denture, or none at all and having a soft diet. After years of wearing full dentures her gums were too tender and coupled with her confusion, it made it all just too difficult.

The reason I have replied is that I had a long and helpful chat with Mum's dentist at the time - thankfully I do not need to wear any form of denture so the whole denture thing was quite a mystery to me. He explained that most denture wearers find the top plate quite easy to wear (this was the case with Mum) as the way it is made the palate of the denture forms a sort of suction to the wearer's palate.
The lower plate however is a different story and the usual culprit. Due to it's horseshoe shape, there is little or no suction as it has to avoid the under tongue 'bits and pieces'. It therefore needs much more conscious control to keep it in place - with age and confusion this control diminishes. In addition, elderly people's chewing changes as they age, from the usual up and down, to side to side. This side to side chewing action coupled with the loss of control is what often causes the problems.
Doesn't answer your question I am afraid, but may be of use understanding what may be the problem and is being experienced. It helped me understand a bit more.

bishen

Jul 26, 2013
hi @bishen
it may be that her gums are playing up, or your mum simply doesn't feel comfortable or like eating with her dentures, they may no longer fit so well

maybe change her diet to one with softer food which doesn't need much chewing but is high in calories eg lots of thick soups, mashed potato and veg, fish cooked in sauces, shepherds pie, rice pudding, blancmange, trifle, ice cream
hi @bishen

@Shedrech, thank you for your quick response and sorry for my late response. I used to get an email notification when there is any response but not this time. It seems that the dentures is no longer helpful. Yes, we have been trying to give her soft food.

bishen

Jul 26, 2013
Hi @bishen
Argh - denture issues. That was the thing that flagged up Mum's dementia at the outset.
Mum ended up just wearing her top denture, or none at all and having a soft diet. After years of wearing full dentures her gums were too tender and coupled with her confusion, it made it all just too difficult.

The reason I have replied is that I had a long and helpful chat with Mum's dentist at the time - thankfully I do not need to wear any form of denture so the whole denture thing was quite a mystery to me. He explained that most denture wearers find the top plate quite easy to wear (this was the case with Mum) as the way it is made the palate of the denture forms a sort of suction to the wearer's palate.
The lower plate however is a different story and the usual culprit. Due to it's horseshoe shape, there is little or no suction as it has to avoid the under tongue 'bits and pieces'. It therefore needs much more conscious control to keep it in place - with age and confusion this control diminishes. In addition, elderly people's chewing changes as they age, from the usual up and down, to side to side. This side to side chewing action coupled with the loss of control is what often causes the problems.
Doesn't answer your question I am afraid, but may be of use understanding what may be the problem and is being experienced. It helped me understand a bit more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman