1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Eating weird things

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Teez, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Teez

Teez Registered User

Dec 9, 2015
    My mum has started eating a lot recently even taking food from other family members while they are eating. She has also started eating weird things like soap and candles even though they look like what they are and do not look like fruit for example. Why is this and what can be done?

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi Teez
    A warm welcome to TP
    I know my dad likes to eat - it's something that can calm him and comfort him
    and at times he is not sure what is food and what isn't - he tried to eat a domino thinking it was a biscuit - and he doesn't always recognise drinks as they are in a beaker or mug and I think he just 'sees' the container not realising the drink is inside it - I keep a careful look out when it's a meal time and coax him along with drinks
    so I guess this is part of the dementia
    I think there's a particular form that does affect eating in that the person will just eat and eat - I'm sure someone with specific knowledge will offer more information