Eating too fast / overeating?

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
This isn't really a problem - not yet, anyway - more an observation :)

I visit dad a couple of times a week in his care home. For the past year or so he's been losing weight, possibly because he has problems swallowing and a soft food diet.

But over the last month the home has been telling me he's put weight on, which everyone is pleased about of course! Well, on my last visit I found out why... he was obsessed with food the whole time I was there (mid morning). He kept indicating he was hungry, so the carer brought a yoghurt. I kid you not, he almost inhaled it! Spoonful after spoonful without any time between mouthfuls. Then a cup of tea (with thickener) was glugged down as though it was pint of beer or something! Then he was looking around for lunch...

Slightly worried because he has swallowing issues as I mentioned - he did cough a few times during his cuppa and I had to take it off him at one point, to allow him to settle. But just wondering if others have seen this, and was it a passing phase? Maybe it's because he's forgotten he's eaten already? I can't believe he's seriously hungry because the portion sizes look good, and meals/snacks come regularly.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother's appetite, which had always been healthy, increased enormously for several years. Part of this was due to medication she was on, but even when we sorted that out, she still ate ravenously. She would inhale her meal and 10 minutes later say she hadn't been given any food. At one point, one of her tablemates didn't eat much and would slide her plate over to Mum, who had polished hers off in a nanosecond. Mum loved it! But the staff had to keep an eagle on this.

It could be a phase or it could be due to meds. The real concern for you is the choking. I would ask the staff if it's possible to keep an eye on him when he's eating, because of the swallowing / choking issues.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife is like that - and can't understand why she is starting to pile on the lbs! She definitely forgets when she has eaten, just like she forgets everything else.

Luckily she hasn't developed any problems with her swallow yet.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks. It could be a change in medication (I'll ask the care home). Also, he walks less these days, so lack of exercise might be another reason. But the food obsession was obvious while I was there. I've asked the home to be extra vigilant while he's eating - he had a number of choking episodes in his previous home.

I find it particularly odd because dad was always careful not to put too much weight on and took pride in being trim. So to watch him wolfing his food down is quite amusing! I guess it could be a problem if he goes hunting for something to eat.

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Same here!
I find the coughing is guaranteed with every cup of coffee - Dad can (& will) drink 3 in the time that I manage 1. It also happens about 1in4 times we go out for a pub lunch, but rarely when eating at home.
I need to monitor/control what is available to him in the fridge, or else it seems like a challenge to eat it all.
Unfortunately, he never seems to put on any weight.....

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Same here!
I find the coughing is guaranteed with every cup of coffee - Dad can (& will) drink 3 in the time that I manage 1. It also happens about 1in4 times we go out for a pub lunch, but rarely when eating at home.
I need to monitor/control what is available to him in the fridge, or else it seems like a challenge to eat it all.
Unfortunately, he never seems to put on any weight.....

Sorry for the delay... it was a the same again with dad when I visited yesterday - indicating he needed to drink the whole time I was there, when I knew full well he'd only just finished one and lunch was due! Strange and unnerving isn't it? Like you, the care home are monitoring it. If dad could mobilise better he'd be hunting through the fridge and cupboards, challenged to eat it all like your dad.