Eating problems

yadit0

Mar 26, 2014
Leicestershire
Hi my Mum has VD I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that every time she have something to eat she starts to cough and will not eat much of her meal, can any one tell me if this is a common problem, I was wondering if it was a habit she has gotten into because she does not want to eat.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
She might have developed swallowing problems. Get her checked out by the SALT (speech and language therapy) team.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Your Mum might be having trouble swallowing. If she is at home ask her GP or SW to refer her to the SALT team. The will observe her eating and make recomendations if she needs her meals changed.

My husband needed to have a soft diet and his drinks thickened. He has progressed further now and his food is puréed.

Food entering the lungs will bring more problems so the sooner it is sorted the better.

Last edited:

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Excellent idea to get her checked by the salt team. Soft food is a good option until you know for sure. There are many experienced people here to help if you struggle with what to give. Love Rose x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Yes. My husband goes through phases of that. He has had aspiration pneumonia (2 years ago) and an aspiration chest infection (last month). These are caused by inhaling food, probably during these coughing fits. Very scary and potentially very serious.

A speech and language therapist to assess swallowing is the way to go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132