1. yadit0

yadit0 Registered User

Mar 26, 2014
    Leicestershire
    Hi my Mum has VD I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that every time she have something to eat she starts to cough and will not eat much of her meal, can any one tell me if this is a common problem, I was wondering if it was a habit she has gotten into because she does not want to eat.

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    She might have developed swallowing problems. Get her checked out by the SALT (speech and language therapy) team.

3. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    #3 jaymor, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Your Mum might be having trouble swallowing. If she is at home ask her GP or SW to refer her to the SALT team. The will observe her eating and make recomendations if she needs her meals changed.

My husband needed to have a soft diet and his drinks thickened. He has progressed further now and his food is puréed.

Food entering the lungs will bring more problems so the sooner it is sorted the better.

4. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    Excellent idea to get her checked by the salt team. Soft food is a good option until you know for sure. There are many experienced people here to help if you struggle with what to give. Love Rose x

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Yes. My husband goes through phases of that. He has had aspiration pneumonia (2 years ago) and an aspiration chest infection (last month). These are caused by inhaling food, probably during these coughing fits. Very scary and potentially very serious.

A speech and language therapist to assess swallowing is the way to go.

6. yadit0

yadit0 Registered User

Mar 26, 2014
    Leicestershire
    Many thanks for all your helpful answers regarding Mums coughing I will get in touch with her Dr and have her checked out.