Eating problems

Lindyluu

Nov 11, 2021
Hi. Mum has yet to visit the Dementia Clinic because of Covid so I hope someone here can help.
Mum eats like a small child in that she shovels too much onto her fork. She pushes the excess into her mouth with her hand. The next mouthful is quickly scooped up onto her fork & pushed in before she has swallowed displaying a mouthful of chewed food. I keep reminding her to take a drink or slow down but she insist she has to "chew, chew, chew". I dont feed her anyrthing that takes long to chew, always cutting chicken etc up for her. Quite often she ends up swallowing too much at once & regurgitates her dinner as ithere is too much to digest.
I bought Dementia cutlery but I cannot find a smaller pronged fork which may slow things down. Any others out there that have solved this problem? Thank you for reading.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. Mum has yet to visit the Dementia Clinic because of Covid so I hope someone here can help.
Mum eats like a small child in that she shovels too much onto her fork. She pushes the excess into her mouth with her hand. The next mouthful is quickly scooped up onto her fork & pushed in before she has swallowed displaying a mouthful of chewed food. I keep reminding her to take a drink or slow down but she insist she has to "chew, chew, chew". I dont feed her anyrthing that takes long to chew, always cutting chicken etc up for her. Quite often she ends up swallowing too much at once & regurgitates her dinner as ithere is too much to digest.
I bought Dementia cutlery but I cannot find a smaller pronged fork which may slow things down. Any others out there that have solved this problem? Thank you for reading.
What about a small cake fork?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Lindyluu

If you Google “children’s metal cutlery “ there are quite a few options that look like normal cutlery sets. It would also be safer if your mum starts licking the knife..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith