Eating problem

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone, I help my mum with the caring of my 81 year old dad who has Vascular Dementia. As with all Italian families meal times are always an important part of our day and from since ever we have always sat down as a family at meal time. Just lately dad refuses to eat " says the doctors told him not to eat " and he is starting to show weight loss. He has breakfast ( toast and cup tea ) every morning no probs , come lunch time won't eat but has spent most of the morning telling everyone that no one gives him anything to eat , he will eat his lunch later that day but expects his supper shortly afterwards. We are not concerned about when he eats but more with the amount he's eating and his weight loss . Do we need to get the doctors involved or is this just part of the course with this vile disease. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would he drink milkshakes? You can buy fortified ones if he'd drink them.
might help with the weight loss

maybe ''the doctor'' could write him a letter saying its okay to eat again now.
''The doctor'' could actually suggest what he should eat and when

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
My MIL struggles with swallowing as part of her Alzheimer's. She'd never admit it & would rather not eat than let on that there is a problem. We find soups go down well (blended soups - no lumps! She likes creamy ones or sweet, like butternut squash & carrot) as does ice-cream, also soft cream cakes and chocolate. She has a prescription for a meal replacement chocolate drink as well, so has one each day to top up. We need to bring her 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day as she only eats tiny amounts at a time.
We give her a multi-vitamin and iron and calcium supplements.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Just to add- MIL lost loads of weight before we figured out the problem was chewing & swallowing. She is back to a healthy weight now.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks everyone for your advice will try the the flavoured drinks, will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point