Eating out of date food

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Lord knows what I'll be like if I ever get dementia, God forbid. When we were clearing the flat of OH's old aunt after she died, we found a lot of way out-of-date tins. But since they looked fine, no rust or sinister bulges, we took them home and used them - no problem. I absolutely HATE wasting food and do get cross if I see anyone else wasting it, so I dare say I'll be the despair-making old mum rescuing rotten mackerel from the bin, too. :eek:

How did we manage before use by dates, right? :D

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mother also hates us throwing her out of date mocrowave meals away. We buy ones with at least a week's date and replace any out of date. We buy her favourite cakes and fruit and micro porridge, which she will eat readily. She also hoards food in drawers round the house in case of bad weather. Luckily she goes to a good lunch club 3 times a week, and we pop in to check she's eaten other days. I had tried Meals on Wheels but Mum did not like food or having to eat it when delivered.

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Today whilst clearing dad's kitchen cupboards I came across four tins of chopped tomatoes with an expiry date of march 2003. In fact just about everything in his store cupboard was out of date by at least two years.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Today whilst clearing dad's kitchen cupboards I came across four tins of chopped tomatoes with an expiry date of march 2003. In fact just about everything in his store cupboard was out of date by at least two years.

I'm not the one with dementia but my daughter will tell you that when she decided to clean out my kitchen cupboards last summer, she found several tins that were months if not years out of date and lots of unused spices well past their sell by date :eek: However, I of course check before using something I've not used in a while whereas mum ....... well I don't think she can see the small print even if she thought about it!

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
Just over 2 years ago I started caring for my XOH. When checking his fridge I found several cold cooked meat packets (some open) which had been in there for weeks and weeks, they didn't look like meat! He tried to stop me throwing them away. The irony of this is that he had been a Food Technologist working in Quality Control and Research.
He always wanted his food but many times left his drinks.
He is now in a CH so I have not got that worry any more.

Sajimjo

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
After posting earlier that I always put meals in the wheelie bin, a couple of days ago I noticed MIL had left one of the custard tarts OH had bought her at weekend, so I popped it in the bin (in it's packaging) A day later the packaging is in the bin, empty. She empties her bin daily so she must have got it out, put it back in the fridge then eaten it the next day!

Solihull

Oct 2, 2014
West Midlands
Lizzybean I don't mean to be flippant but if it is a big wheelie bin, I am seeing a pair of legs sticking out the top one day when she is retrieving something from the bottom. Xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour