Eating Medication Bathing etc etc.

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi All

We have started to realise Mum is not eating, she say's she has already eaten, but we can find no evidence of what she has had. We have had carers in for the past couple of weeks due to our holidays, and she told them she had eaten a meal midday, so all they could do was give her a sandwich/snack which we are not sure if she ate. Not sure if she doesn't want to eat or she really thinks she has eaten, also forgeting to take her medication even when I remind her when I phone, not bathing/or washing but says she has and gets aggresive. we are still waiting for an assessment by social services, but not too sure what they will be able do in these areas, any ideas most welcome, as I feel like a hamster going round and round in its wheel and getting nowhere.
Kaz

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
How long have you been waiting on the assessment by social services?

Yes they do really forget that they have eaten, my mother does that. I read in your other thread that your mother is in sheltered housing ? can the manger of sheltered housing offer any help in pushing social services to get there finger out & get a carer in to wash your mum and give your mum her medication ?

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi Margarita
We have been waiting aout 4 weeks for an assessment, she was assessed by the CPN last week and she agreed that help was needed. The wardens at Mums sheltered housing are only there for emergency etc and they also organise activities for the occupants, which Mum will not join in. Most of the people in Mum's sheltered housing ar fairly fit and active, have yet to meet any with dementia/alzheimer's.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I only know of a couple that live in sheltered accommodation, the husband has AD & the wife look after him they, it amazes me as she is 69 teaches school children 1 days a week while he at day centre, his in his 80s the AZ society pick him up to take him to day centre one day a week , beside that she take care of him and does not have any respite.

You could organise that for your mother , maybe when SW sort out carer to come in she could encourage your mum to join in , but then I know that even the residence that do not have dementia do not join in ,they prefer they own privacy . You said that you had carer to come in did you organise that your self? Is your mum is self funding? Could you not ask her again to come in to give your mum her medication?