Eating and walking - changing.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello,
Mum is now walking in very small, slow steps and clings on as her balance isn't strong. She can no longer pull herself out of the car either but has to be pulled and held. So I have garadually seen her walking change - a lot. I guess this is normal progression of bvFTD.
However, her eating has changed too and suddenly; she can eat toast on her own but now she has to be fed her meals. Isn't this strange that they can suddenly not feed themselves? I never thought this day would come, but sadly, it has. Will she go on like this for years? Or rapidly decline? Thanks.

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
My hubby has slowed considerably, when we go for a walk , he hangs on to my arm. I have to allow longer time to get anywhere. He can still feed himself, I bought a special cutlery set with grip handles. Falls asleep quite often, but then can wake up in the middle of the night and not go back to sleep. Strange how they change.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
My hubby has slowed considerably, when we go for a walk , he hangs on to my arm. I have to allow longer time to get anywhere. He can still feed himself, I bought a special cutlery set with grip handles. Falls asleep quite often, but then can wake up in the middle of the night and not go back to sleep. Strange how they change.
It certainly is, quite bewildering how they can do something one day and not the next. Sad disease. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Cazzita

I don`t know if it`s specific to people with FTD but my husband with Alzheimer`s also struggled to feed himself and his care home started to present him with finger food.

It seemed as if global mobility started to slow down at the same time.

Ramblingrose

Feb 2, 2020
My mum has lost loads of weight due to her poor appetite now. If she live on cake and biscuits she would. Many times she simply doesn't recognise the food on her plate. Also she has become more unsteady on her feet, slow walking and the odd wobble. She has to helped in and out of the car etc. Yet, but some music on and up she gets dancing. No problem. It is all part of the disease.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Thanks so much for your replies. Yes, a very sad disease indeed and very strange. xx