Eary Stages

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
Hi I have posted on here before,My wife is in very early stages,in fact most of the time shes really good,still does some of the cooking does the housework and loves the garden,she is only 67.Can I expect her to worsen quite quickly or not ,I sometimes wonder if she actually has it although she does have the odd bad day but not a lot and its just forgetting and repeating things nothing else so I feel a little lost about the whole thing.Sometimes wish I had a crystal ball,but the again maybe not .I attend carers sessions but most of the people there have parents or partners who are getting quite bad and I feel a little out place,Any one else in similar position would love to hear from you.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Do you know what kind of dementia she has as they all follow different patterns and each person is different.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Does your wife attend a memory clinic? I was wondering if she is on any medications for her dementia. My mother had vascular dementia and was in no medications for this. I think this is normal. My husband has Alzheimer's and has been on medication for this form of dementia for 12.years. I believe these have helped slow down the progress of the disease. He was first on Aricept (Donepizil) then Exelon (Rivastigmine). I know everyone is different but he tolerated these drugs really well. Recently he was put on Ebixa (Memantine). He didn't tolerate this well so he is now on no drugs for his dementia.

For many years he was like your wife and didn't show many signs of dementia. I can understand how you feel a little out of it. I never went to any Carers meetings and found TP to be my life saver as so many people have recognised the different stages he has gone through. I hope you too find support and friendship here. x

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
Does your wife attend a memory clinic? I was wondering if she is on any medications for her dementia. My mother had vascular dementia and was in no medications for this. I think this is normal. My husband has Alzheimer's and has been on medication for this form of dementia for 12.years. I believe these have helped slow down the progress of the disease. He was first on Aricept (Donepizil) then Exelon (Rivastigmine). I know everyone is different but he tolerated these drugs really well. Recently he was put on Ebixa (Memantine). He didn't tolerate this well so he is now on no drugs for his dementia.

For many years he was like your wife and didn't show many signs of dementia. I can understand how you feel a little out of it. I never went to any Carers meetings and found TP to be my life saver as so many people have recognised the different stages he has gone through. I hope you too find support and friendship here. x

Hi My wife is on Donepizil seems to be okay this time,I have been attending carers sessions which are great but still find myself a bit lost and probably wont go to any more just yet.As ive said before she is doing Cognitive Stimulation Therapy which she enjoys talking about current affairs and a lot of other things,she is in a group of 5 which is a good number,im going to a session tomorrow where I should learn a lot more about it,I keep saying shes not to bad but my daughters have a different view and seen some changes for the worst so I really don't no,Thanks for your reply.