1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Adi

Adi Registered User

Sep 11, 2003
    Nottingham
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help or advise with a couple of queries.

My mum was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers and has lived with me and my family until a more permanent solution could be found. As she is still in the 'early stages' her consultant has assured me that she will be able to live a moderately independant life providing she can be supervised on a regular basis. To that end she has recently sold her house 40 miles away, and is in the process of buying a small bungalow very close to us.

I would like to here from any one that can advise me on any particular makes of domestic appliances that they feel may be safe and suitable for her needs.

I have read many threads and posts and now do not quite know what to expect in the future. On the one hand I am relieved that I am not alone....But I am equally concerned about what the future may hold.

I only have her best interests at heart am I fighting a losing battle?? What should I do?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Adi (Lumpy one)

2. Angela

Angela Registered User

May 28, 2003
    Wales
    Hi
    Domestic appliances? Hmmm well I dont know that I can advise on anything in particular.
    I suppose the most obvious small appliance (?) that comes to mind is an electric cordless kettle. But as for anything else, I think you will have to explain a little more about what you mean.
    It's normal for a person to take their own belongings with them when they move home, and one dosen't always think to buy new to help them out as you are.
    I do apreciate what you are saying, but I dont know that there are any white goods that will be of particular benefit, that are much different to others anyway.

As for moving your Mum closer to you, I think that is the best move possible.
    Good luck