Early stages?

Eucalyptus

Jan 9, 2014
My father lives with my husband and I. He is in his seventies, has type two diabetes and was previously a very heavy drinker. He has cut down a lot simply because there is not the same access in our house. But, every now and again he will still drink. Not terrifying amounts like a bottle of spirits, but say...a bottle of wine.

His mother and sister both had Alzheimer's, his sisters at least is early onset Alzheimer's.

My father has always been very forgetful. He has never remembered people's names for example. But he has also been a very high functioning individual.

My husband and I have not been worried about things we think are him (forgetting names, not knowing when my birthday is, multiple buying of the same foods even though we have asked him not to buy any food at all) but there are some things we have suggested to him are more worrying.

He seems capable of things like driving, managing his money (well.....not the best but then...I think that might always have been the case, he has always been disorganised and a procrastinator but I think that was pressure of work) . If he focuses he seems ok.

For example, three times this week he has left the oven on. He has left the back door and the back gate open (so enabling our dogs to get onto the road).

He leaves the taps on. He cannot remember fairly basic things which are normal in our house (frustrations and expense rather than life threatening).

A few weeks ago a friend was visiting from Cheltenham and he asked why I hadn't met someone coming from Essex somewhere more mutually convenient (confusing Cheltenham with Chelmsford, both places we know reasonably well, but it took some minutes to iron out the confusion). This sort of thing is happening more and more.

He seems to find conversations sometimes harder to follow. After conversations to do with comes things (for example with an accountant or architect or builder) he will seem to feel something other than what has been resolved is resolved. I'm not always sure he's got it.

There are plethora of other things which are frustrating but not dangerous and I think could be absent mindedness rather than concerning.

My husband and my father's ex wife have both expressed concerns but his friends don't seem to have noticed, not that i am aware of in any case. his social circle is not something i am very involved with. At my urging and with no small disagreement he saw the GP.

Obviously I don't know the content of the conversation but my father came home jubilant that I was wrong and that I was making mountains out of molehills.

All I can say is that the GP isn't have to stay awake to check doors because my father is getting up in the middle of the night and letting the dogs out, or leaving taps on.

Having had a look at some of the tests used to establish dementia I am positive my father would be able to do most of the tasks asked. I really think IF this is dementia its very early stages, and it could be something else, like his diabetes medicine not right, but if the GP won't look in to it what does one do?

Should my husband and I speak to the GP of our concerns? I think it likely my father didn't say things like he was leaving the cooker on.

What does one do? I don't know what to do, who to speak to, or whether we just......watch and wait.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Eucalyptus and welcome to Talking Point.

It's difficult to know what to advise when you're not privy to what happened with the GP. Sadly some GP's are still apt to put unusual behaviour down to mere age, and may not be willing to discuss your father's case with you without your father's consent.

Many people find it useful to keep a diary of behaviour and then present to the GP. They might not be prepared to discuss the case, but should listen to your concerns.

There's some good advice in this factsheet .

velveteen

May 20, 2012
My Mum took herself to the Dr twice over the space of a couple of years as she felt something was wrong ( we put it down to grief as my Dad had just died )but she was told nothing was wrong. I was only when I insisted on going in with her - and it took quite a fight, did she get anywhere and that was simply that I was able to contradict some of the answers she gave,and because 'I had travelled a long way so my concerns must be real'
I would suggest that you try and go in to the Dr with your Dad if you possibly can. The tests are pretty basic.My Mum was asked what the year was (2008) she couldn't answer - after about 6 guesses the Dr was still happy to let it go as 'normal'
Good Luck

My father lives with my husband and I. He is in his seventies, has type two diabetes and was previously a very heavy drinker. He has cut down a lot simply because there is not the same access in our house. But, every now and again he will still drink. Not terrifying amounts like a bottle of spirits, but say...a bottle of wine.

His mother and sister both had Alzheimer's, his sisters at least is early onset Alzheimer's.

My father has always been very forgetful. He has never remembered people's names for example. But he has also been a very high functioning individual.

My husband and I have not been worried about things we think are him (forgetting names, not knowing when my birthday is, multiple buying of the same foods even though we have asked him not to buy any food at all) but there are some things we have suggested to him are more worrying.

He seems capable of things like driving, managing his money (well.....not the best but then...I think that might always have been the case, he has always been disorganised and a procrastinator but I think that was pressure of work) . If he focuses he seems ok.

For example, three times this week he has left the oven on. He has left the back door and the back gate open (so enabling our dogs to get onto the road).

He leaves the taps on. He cannot remember fairly basic things which are normal in our house (frustrations and expense rather than life threatening).

A few weeks ago a friend was visiting from Cheltenham and he asked why I hadn't met someone coming from Essex somewhere more mutually convenient (confusing Cheltenham with Chelmsford, both places we know reasonably well, but it took some minutes to iron out the confusion). This sort of thing is happening more and more.

He seems to find conversations sometimes harder to follow. After conversations to do with comes things (for example with an accountant or architect or builder) he will seem to feel something other than what has been resolved is resolved. I'm not always sure he's got it.

There are plethora of other things which are frustrating but not dangerous and I think could be absent mindedness rather than concerning.

My husband and my father's ex wife have both expressed concerns but his friends don't seem to have noticed, not that i am aware of in any case. his social circle is not something i am very involved with. At my urging and with no small disagreement he saw the GP.

Obviously I don't know the content of the conversation but my father came home jubilant that I was wrong and that I was making mountains out of molehills.

All I can say is that the GP isn't have to stay awake to check doors because my father is getting up in the middle of the night and letting the dogs out, or leaving taps on.

Having had a look at some of the tests used to establish dementia I am positive my father would be able to do most of the tasks asked. I really think IF this is dementia its very early stages, and it could be something else, like his diabetes medicine not right, but if the GP won't look in to it what does one do?

Should my husband and I speak to the GP of our concerns? I think it likely my father didn't say things like he was leaving the cooker on.

What does one do? I don't know what to do, who to speak to, or whether we just......watch and wait.

CINDYJANE

Feb 9, 2012
Devon/somerset
Hi.
I am sorry you are in such a dilemma over your father. If he has been a heavy drinker, that would have destroyed a lot of brain cells. I have seen the results of heavy drinking in several people very close to me, and it does damage and destroy lives. It killed my daughter's father at the age of 55, and affected the way they behaved and dealt with things in their lives. I am sure my mum's dementia has a lot to do with her drinking (fortunately she has now forgotten that she drank vodka, and is happy with tea). I am also close to someone, late 60's, (who doesn't drink)who is the most uselessly practical person I have ever come across- never locking doors or managing to remember any instructions. Maybe he has early dementia, I don't know, as there a lot of things he does remember well.
As others have advised, the only way you will find out is if you are with him when he sees the doctor, as the doctor won't always know if his answers are correct or not. I suppose that is why the dementia tests ask questions such as the name of the prime minister. Even if he was diagnosed with early dementia, probably not a lot would, or could, be done about it. Just a label for his forgetfulness. My mum was told to stop drinking and lower her blood pressure..... Both achieved now, but sadly too late to make a difference.
It is incredibly frustrating, and worrying, living with someone you don't feel you can trust to do things properly. I wish I knew what the solution to that was. I sometimes ask my friend why he doesn't do as I constantly have to"ask"( eg lock back door after he's let the dogs back inside))--does he not think it important, does he not care, can he not remember, can he not do it...??? But he will never answer me and changes the subject.
I think a lot depends on how you react to the way someone behaves. If you can't change their behaviour the you have to alter the way you react to it. Read books, talk with healthcare professionals, and learn as much as you can. I am feeling more relaxed in my mum's company now, and my daughter commented on my different, more positive reactions today. Because I am changing the way I react to my mum's behaviour, she is also changing, and is not constantly questioning me like she has been doing. I have learnt some skills from observing how the activities co-ordinator in her home deals with dementia sufferers--in a very positive and reassuring way--quickly alleviating their worries and stopping their repetitiveness.
You will learn a lot from this forum, and I hope you will be able to get some help soon. :)

velveteen

May 20, 2012
good book

I read a book - Contented dementia which was a godsend, changed my attitude completely. It is so inspirational. Give it a go.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
My mother, diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009, has resided with us since 2008. Since she moved in, I have been to every doctor's appointment with her. In the U.S., the health privacy laws meant that she has given me a sort of power to assist with her healthcare decisions. This means I can learn about all of her medical issues; and at this stage, I direct her care, working with the physicians, etc.

My suggestions come from my experience.

You might try keeping a running record of the incidents of forgetfulness, jotting down the day/time and exact event. Aim to keep track of these events without making any assessments of your own, if possible (don't editorialize, just report). Keep a running record for a few weeks. Then try to see if you can talk these events over with the GP, or at least try talking them over with your parent. Having a frank conversation (not judgmental or heated, but just based on the facts you have kept a record of) can be a first step to getting your parent to recognize that you are trying to help him. If this can be done in such a way that you are "on his side" and trying to help, he might feel more confident about opening up about his growing confusion.

This is how I managed things with my mother. Every situation is different, however. Good luck