Early stage Alzheimer's

Lynne rob

Nov 26, 2014
Hi all my mum was diagnosed in November with early stage Alzheimer's. Recently they have had a new kitchen fitted and since then she is unable to recognise my dad (2weeks) she keeps asking for the other man. She was really upset that no one had told her that he was my dad and that she had been married for 49 years.
Doctors have said that she will return to normal and that it can take a few weeks but it is like her Alzheimer's has advanced by years in just a few weeks. Has anyone else experience of this

DazeInOurLives

Dec 10, 2009
East Midlands,UK
twitter.com
Hi all my mum was diagnosed in November with early stage Alzheimer's. Recently they have had a new kitchen fitted and since then she is unable to recognise my dad (2weeks) she keeps asking for the other man. She was really upset that no one had told her that he was my dad and that she had been married for 49 years.
Doctors have said that she will return to normal and that it can take a few weeks but it is like her Alzheimer's has advanced by years in just a few weeks. Has anyone else experience of this

Sadly yes, both Mum and Dad have each deteriorated when there were any major changes around them. Stress, noise and change from their neighbours' extension work caused my Dad's alzheimer's to deteriorate dramatically and permanently.

There is usually some gradual improvement afterwards, but rarely quite to the previous level.

We have survived for so many years by doing everything possible to maintain familiarity in routine and environment and doing everything in our power to avoid anything new. Mum has just gone into care and I realised that her house has been a time warp for many years in order to try to slow her deterioration. It does help.

Lynne rob

Nov 26, 2014
Thank you for your reply. The doctors say she will return to her normal self but I just can't see it. It's so sad to watch.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hi, Lynne. I don't have any useful advice to offer, I'm sorry. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you are going through this and hope you can get some support here. I know it's very difficult and sad. Between the recent diagnosis and now your mum's reaction to the kitchen change, you have a lot to deal with.

If you get a chance/are so inclined, come back and let us know how you get on.