Early Onset Dementia but unknown origin?

Nimbus1

Apr 10, 2021
USA
Can anyone help me understanding what Moderate Hypometabiolism which my Pet Scan showed when evaluating my Dementia? My Mayo Neurologist was quite concerned but I still don't understand what that means to my Dementia which my tests say it is not of what is seen with Alzheimer's? But I definitely bilateral hippocampal and bilateral parietal lobe atrophy. Can anyone help educate me on this or give me direction where I can learn more? I have early Dementia but my tests are noting what it is. But, this Moderate Hypometabolism is most disturbing to my Dementia Neurologist. If you can help me, thank you very much in advance.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Nimbus1 Welcome

I know nothing of Hypometabolism and it's the first time I've heard about it on Talking Point.

This is what the search revealed

What does hypometabolism in the brain mean?
Hypometabolism, characterized by decreased brain glucose consumption, is a common feature of many neurodegenerative diseases
Includes Diseases: Alzheimer's disease

There is a lot more about it in the link.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Nimbus1
Metabolism refers to how much energy is being produced and PET scans are looking at the energy produced by the brain cells. Hypo means lower, so hypometabolism on a PET scan means that areas of your brain are producing lower energy than normal. This means that they are not working properly.

PET scans dont tell you any more than that - they dont say what is causing the lower energy, nor what type of dementia you might have. Your neurologist will be looking at the difference between an ordinary CAT scan and this PET scan. The most usual reason that they want to do this, is if they are wondering whether it is FTD, but I cant say for certain that this is what your neurologist is thinking and even if he is, he may conclude that its not FTD.

Do ask your neurologist about this next time you see them because we cant give definitive answers.

Fogo1982

Sep 22, 2022
Can anyone help me understanding what Moderate Hypometabiolism which my Pet Scan showed when evaluating my Dementia? My Mayo Neurologist was quite concerned but I still don't understand what that means to my Dementia which my tests say it is not of what is seen with Alzheimer's? But I definitely bilateral hippocampal and bilateral parietal lobe atrophy. Can anyone help educate me on this or give me direction where I can learn more? I have early Dementia but my tests are noting what it is. But, this Moderate Hypometabolism is most disturbing to my Dementia Neurologist. If you can help me, thank you very much in advance.
Hi did you ever get any explanation. My PET scan showed serve hypometabolism but I also don't understand it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976