Early onset and type of memory issues

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I think mum has early onset dementia (she's in her 60s) but her behaviour and memory baffles dad and I.

She will hide things in empty liner bags (toothbrush, soap etc) and then forget where they are, but she will offer to take my plate through to the kitchen. Some times her memory seems fine, she can remember musical lyrics, but then she suddenly goes blank. Is this usual behavior for someone with early onset dementia because dad isn't convinced it's dementia but I think it is. I think she is trying to mask that she has a problem by trying too hard, but she has said to me that something is wrong, so I think sometimes she is aware there is a problem.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think it would be best to take your mum to discuss these problems with the GP. If possible you could perhaps hand in a note of your concerns (and give examples) prior to the appointment. I would share your concern that it might be early onset dementia. I'm sure he/she would take everything into account and see if there is anything else causing the problems.

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I've started to keep a list, but how detailed does it need to be? I've noticed that on any one day, dad thinks she's had a worse day, then when I see her she's better.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum is 74 qnd 2 yrs in from an Alzheimers diagnosis.
In the beginning she had more good days than bad. We used to question the diagnosis... It must be something else.
Now Mum has moderate Alzheimers. She rarely has a good day. More like half a day, sometimes a few hours.
There is also no rhyme or reason as to what Mum can and can't remember.
How can she remember the fact that Coronation Street is on at 7.30 but can't remember that its her birthday tomorrow or she can remember our cats name, but can't remember her grandparents names. Mum can have a whole converastion one minute, and forget it 5 mns later.

Just make a record of memory lapses, strange behavior, issues with speech, and mobility.
Only blood tests, a CT scan, and Neurological testing can get to the bottom of it... Even then sometimes they have to go on symptoms reported by family to come to a conclusion.

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
I watched Alz society video on utube this morning. It is only short but I found it very helpful. It uses a bookcase as an analogy. Could someone do the link thing please.