Early on set vascular dementia

denises

Sep 27, 2021
mum has been diagnosed with early Vascular Dementia, she is fine for the minute but appears to rely on me a lot more these days. If she gets unwell with a headache, sickness etc she keeps thinking she is dying. Is this because of dementia or just a fear of getting old. My father passed away 13 years ago so she does rely on me to help her with daily things eg, bills, ordering medication. It is getting harder to cope with her condition as she thinks she is fine, but then she does have bad days when she is forgetful and this is upsetting because she knows she can't remember things. some days she is fine and no one would know about her condition. I thought I would take her away for a couple of night in a hotel for a nice break, she was happy when I booked it and then later in the week she said she was too nervous to go, so I had to cancel. What is harder is trying to sort out POA , has anyone done this and could give me some advise

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @denises Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds as if your mother has some insight into her condition. Do you think she would be more accepting of allowing a LPA , it is now a Lasting Power of Attorney if you could suggest it when she does have a lapse and is aware of it.

You might suggest it as a way to deal with matters on her behalf when she has bad days.