Early On-set Dementia.

Blueandy

Jan 5, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
Hi
living in the Kent area, especially Thanet, I am aware from Government statistics that there are at least 40 people living in this area with Early On-Set Dementia. What I would like to know is, if you are a young person with Dementia, organic or functional, what support you recieve, and what services you use, as it appears there is a lack of adequate resources in our area to support people.
I would like to hear from people,either living with, or people caring for some body with Early On-Set Dementia and hope to pull together some information for people that feel isolated, alone or not coping, and put them in touch with services like the Alzheimer's Cafe or any coffee mornings that are held in our area.
The Alzheimer's cafe is for anyone who has Dementia, and the point of this thread is to make people aware that there is such places to get support, so please, disseminate this to anyone you know as the more people that support/attend these venues will give strenth to the need for them.
I will start by giving the address and times for the local Alzheimer's cafe in Westbrook, Kent.

It is held in the:

Forget Me Not Cafe,
Westbrook House,
150 Canterbury Road,
Westbrook,
Kent.
Please call Jenny on 01843-254114 for any information you may need.
The opening times are on Tuesday and Saturday between 2-4 every week.
Thank you for your time reading this and lets hope some people can benefit from this.
Regards.:)
Andy.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Andy, thank you for your post.

Appreciate what you are trying to do. Hope this reaches a few people.

I shall visit if ever I am in the area.

Blueandy

Jan 5, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
Andy, thank you for your post.

Appreciate what you are trying to do. Hope this reaches a few people.

I shall visit if ever I am in the area.

Thank you Connie.I visited the cafe today and I know you will be made very welcome, as anyone will be. I feel the frustration and sense of hoplessness from the people I am in contact with, and hope to help by making people aware of any venues.
Regards,
Andy.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Blueandy

I think it depends where you live as to what services you find available.
I know our branch manager does liase with the Hospital where everyone gets diagnosed,(at least those who are sent to the Hospital from their GP, but not everyone gets passed on these days). But it appears that not everyone who has the illness wants to get involved with a Branch or its services, which is a shame, because even though I do not use the services, I help out at them. This is because I am still at the stage where I am still active. But we do have a lot of services at our branch for all to use if they wish, we have a brilliant day centre which is something that many do not have.
But when everyone wishes to become involved with these services they are given a pack containing all that the branch offers, aswell as emergency telephone numbers which would be a godsend to any carer.

We are not yet at the stage where all the services are uniform in this country.

Best Wishes

Ken