early indicators? - help?


Registered User
Mar 13, 2005
My mother-in-law has Altzheimers, and I have detected what I think are early indicators in my husband (who is 58 years old). His memory has been deteriorating but has been compensated for by me reminding him for some time of appointments, things to do each day, etc. He has had problems for a long time with dialling phone numbers, remembering days/dates, etc., but I am now very worried because he has become very argumentative and aggressive over the slightest thing. I can cope with the memory loss, but not the aggressiveness or the "confiscating" of things as "punishment" if I step out of line. He has also become violent on two occasions recently. He also obsesses about paperwork and can spend hours "sorting out" our study (and destroying things that are important to me) - is this Altzheimers? The nurse who looks after my mother-in-law has met my husband and has said he must be scanned - but HOW do I get him to go?


Registered User
Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Sanval, can you speak to his GP? They may be able to help arrange something. Ther are other causes besides dementia that can cause these symptoms, depression, iron, B12, etc. deficiencys, and other things that would show in tests and a scan that's why it is needed. I do hope you can get one sorted soon as often medication can sort things. If it is dementia, then at least you can start to plan for the future and will be able to do what is needed instead of being so worried and alone. Please keep us informed so we can help you where we can.Thinking of you, love She. XX


Registered User
Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Sanval
this problem arises from time to time ,how to get someone to see the Doctor.
One suggestion made was to ask the doctor to "happen" to call and talk to your husband.
Anothr way was to get husband to go to the surgery for a general check up.
These ways of course depend on the co operation of your GP.
The GP is always the first contact which ever course you take.
Hope this may help a little
Norman :confused:


Registered User
Mar 27, 2004

I had the problem of getting Margaret to see the GP when I suspected some form of dementia.

I saw the GP with a written list of her erratic behavior and told him she wouldn't agree to see him about the problem.

He sent for her, ostensibly for a general check as she had turned 70 by this time.

I realise your husband is much younger but maybe your GP will find some other reason to see him.

Anyway that is the place to start.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Barraf