Early incontinence

sue_ellen

Dec 26, 2015
Dad lives alone. Fiercely private and independence.

He had a cough recently and I noticed a patch on his trousers. Made nothing of it further but went and did 'Google doctor' which led men to assume it could be stress incontinence.

Ok so noticed another patch today . Asked dad if he was aware of it and he said he wasn't.

Thinking it mainly the cough but having to accept where we are in this journey.

Any pointers whom to speak to for further advice or support as its a sensitive subject - thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
This is difficult when someone is fiercely private. I would wonder if there was a urine infection going on first to be honest and once that was ruled out then wonder about other things. If it becomes the normal thing then either talk to an incontinence nurse and see if they can provide pads or if you feel more comfortable buy one pack of pully ups from a well known high street chemist starting with b and suggest quietly that he should try these. Then not wait for an answer but put them in his pant draw and remove his pants then see how he gets on. I would hope someone would be around to see how he does get on because if he reacts badly he may need some help and understanding or a few love lies to get him to ultimately become more comfortable.
Just a little aside, my dad uses pully ups but is still wet coming away from the toilet. Im guessing he "dribbles"when starting off, however the pully ups still must help as he is never sore.

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
My husband sometimes gets a wet patch due to lack of coordination with his clothes rather than actual incontinence. Difficult to find a resolution for this one, but not quite ready for pads yet. If this problem of your dad's is caused by his cough might be worth asking gp too.

sue_ellen

Dec 26, 2015
Thank you for your suggestions. Will book GP appointment- he's due to start using an inhaler for asthma and she said the first few weeks he will cough A LOT so this too will exasperate the problem.

Have noticed that he does leave the floor wet too. He always said his pride was so important to him

Will contact GP tomorrow as if it's an infection needs treating. He has prostate cancer but until now that's well under control - we've only just been discharged back to the GP

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point