Early Dementia and request to be power of attorney?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"The solicitor is acting to be one certificate holder and my mum's GP is the other,..."

With two certificate providers there is no requirement to nominate any 'person to be told'.

With the combination of GP and solicitor it would be difficult to challenge the power on the grounds that the donor was incapable, did not understand the full implications of their actions or was being coerced in some way.

The remaining reason to object is that the proposed attorney is unsuitable, this objection would have to be factual and not that the donor had made a bad choice.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Further to my earlier posting on costs - our lawyer said he had to make a judgement at the time of drawing up the POA whether or not we were capable of understanding what we were doing. No tests just a conversation about what was involved. The convoluted arrangements in some postings suggest that either the person did not present well at the interview with the lawyer or they are nervous about assuming capability.

The very large fees for the Thames Valley member seem to fit with the generally higher costs for everything involving professionals in the London area! Although we paid a total of £600 for both of us a good professional job was done and I was relieved to have it taken care of.

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England

This is why I believe the solicitor is requesting a second certificate from the doctor which will strengthen the LPA application.

Fred Flintstone you state that "Two medical certificates, from two medical practitioners, and no-one will be approached by the Office"

The solicitor is acting to be one certificate holder and my mum's GP is the other, is this the same and acts has two medical certificates?

redbaron,

If your solicitor is offering a certificate then I'm sure that will suffice as the second certificate my legal advice referred to. I'm sorry if I've been confusing in any way.

FF