Eamon Holmes

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
When I saw what Eamonn Holmes said this week about asking his family to take him to a euthanasia clinic if he developed dementia I felt really sad. He’s absolutely entitled to his view, and I know some people may share it. But seeing his words made me want to share my story, to show another side of what it can mean to have dementia.

I was diagnosed with dementia in January this year. It didn’t feel like I was being handed a death sentence. It might sound odd, but it felt like someone had taken a weight off my shoulders.

For the last four years I’d been battling through a tired fog, fighting to remember phone conversations, dates, people’s faces. I’ve wanted to hit my head and say ‘why aren’t you working’? Somebody would phone up the funeral services where I was director, and by the time I’d put the phone down I couldn’t remember anything they’d said, it had completely disappeared. It was so confusing how my brain wouldn’t do what I wanted it to anymore.

For me, the relief of a dementia diagnosis came with not having to struggle to try and remember, to be someone I’m not. I feel completely at peace with myself. Now I can do so much, but at my own pace. If you understand dementia you can walk forward in that knowledge. Understanding what dementia is gives you motivation, and surprisingly, freedom.

Eamonn Holmes described dementia as ‘a long, lonely walk’. Everyone’s different, but for me my diagnosis has been the complete opposite of lonely. It’s given me this unique family of people with the condition, and their carers. Everyone’s accepted, no one cares if you can’t remember their name. I’m mixing more now with people than I did for the last four years, when I was beating myself up over my bad memory.

The people I’ve met with dementia are who inspire me. They encourage me to move on, to be positive, to be in the here and now.

The last four months have been a process of learning how to do things differently. There are frustrating things that crop up every day - like trying to work the remote control on TV. I look at it, and don’t know which buttons to press. But it’s ok when you think other people are in the same boat, and have struggled with the same things, and often have found ways round. I went to a reading group recently, where people with dementia come together and read short stories and poems. A lady there was telling me her husband has app on his phone so he knows where she is, so now she can go out and about on her own. I went home and got my friends to download it, and now I feel totally relaxed when I go out, everyone will know exactly where I am – they’ll find me in whichever coffee shop I end up in sooner or later.

I’m not just living with dementia, I’m living well. Since I’ve stopped working and have more time, I’ve started growing seeds and plants, and joined the allotment group. Gardening was something I’d never had time for before. I’ve also joined the educate team at my local memory clinic, so I can show doctors, hospitals, schools, what it’s like to have dementia. Once we can break down the stigma, then we can live. I get frustrated when people talk to me like I’m stupid. I say to them ‘I’m not stupid’ and they say ‘oh sorry, I never said you were’. But they’re acting like I am, finishing my sentences and presuming I won’t understand. I just need to be allowed to talk slower, and people need to talk slower to me.

I’m on a panel next Friday at the Alzheimer’s Show, and I’m going to be speaking about end of life. I want to encourage people with dementia to put their end of life plans together. It’s actually no different whether you have dementia or not. In my job at the funeral services, when I was helping a family to plan someone’s funeral, sons and daughters didn’t know. No one had ever talked about death – but we all need to.

When I was first diagnosed, I had worried about being a burden to my family in South Africa, but since I’ve been connected to my local memory clinic, I don’t have those worries and anxieties any more, I know the clinic they’ll discuss each stage of my dementia journey with me at the right time. I trust them completely.

Now I’ve got a diagnosis I can plan for the future, think about how I can make this work, and look for holidays to go on before I forget I went on them!

I wanted to write this for all the people who’ve just got a dementia diagnosis or know someone who has, who might be thinking, even for a second, that their only hope is a trip to Dignitas. The way dementia’s talked about in the TV and the papers is getting a lot better, but a lot of people still have an image in their mind of an old lady sitting in a chair, hunched up and dribbling. That’s not me. That’s not my experience of dementia. I’m living well with dementia, and I’m certainly not the only one.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It's good to read something positive Jorbin. I'm pleased you have a support network through memory cafes and suchlike, that's so important in living with or dealing with Dementia. Good luck to you and best wishes, R

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
thank you for writing in such depth @Jorbin
as you say, each one of us is entitled to our individual opinion, but I do sometimes wish that those in the public eye would think about the effect voicing their opinions might have - wouldn't it be good if he came across TP and read about how supportive everyone is here

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
as you say, each one of us is entitled to our individual opinion, but I do sometimes wish that those in the public eye would think about the effect voicing their opinions might have - wouldn't it be good if he came across TP and read about how supportive everyone is here
Hello, Yes, I would suspect that "celebrities" would have a tad more help around them than most posters here would have.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Thank you!

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
You write so eloquently Jorbin and you talk about
I’m not just living with dementia, I’m living well.
and in the very early stages I do think this is possible.
What Eamon Holmes may be feeling may be based on different experiences. Possibly watching LOs in the very depths of the last, severe stage of dementia.?
And certainly those early stages can give one a 'good QoL' for several years.

I hope this doesn't upset you, but I've now watched 4 relatives with dementia, in that very last, most severe stage of dementia and certainly if Eamon H or anyone else with similar experiences expresses a different opinion to your own, I can truly see where they're coming from.

Whilst not agreeing with euthanasia myself, I confess I did often wish for 'it all to be over' for my LOs. Watching someone bedbound, unable even to reposition themselves, communicate or feed themselves or even swallow without 'assistance', completely unable to show any understanding or joy in life stage can be so devastating to watch.. Not many sufferers survive as long at that stage as my relatives did between 5 and 6+ years in our case, after many years at early/mid stages and certainly when watching her sister at that lsevere stage my own mother did say, "That's not 'living' that's 'mere existence'". I think that may be what he was referring to. A bit like MND sufferers, to be trapped within their own bodies, completely unable to communicate in any way at all, it's that stage I think we would all rather spare our LOs from watching with us. Yet the medical world keeps 'trying' to keep people alive with 'another bout of ABs' or another treatment - in other words actively delaying the inevitable demise and leaving the person with no QoL between the emergencies. That's where perhaps we need to be allowed to say 'No more treatments. Let nature take it's course.'

Obviously that is a very biased opinion based on my own experiences and other people wlll think differently , as they have a right to.

Last edited:

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
You write so eloquently Jorbin and you talk about

and in the very early stages I do think this is possible.
What Eamon Holmes may be feeling may be based on different experiences. Possibly watching LOs in the very depths of the last, severe stage of dementia.? And those early stages can give one a 'good QoL' for several years.

I hope this doesn't upset you, but I've now watched 4 relatives with dementia, in that very last, most severe stage of dementia and certainly if Eamon H or anone else with similar experiences expresses a different opinion to your own, I can truly see where they're coming from. Whilst not agreeing with euthanasia myself, I confess I did often for 'it all to be over' for my LOs. Watching someone bedbound, unable even to reposition themselves, communicate or feed themselves or even swallow without 'assistance', completely unable to show any understanding or joy in life stage can be so devastating to watch.. Not many sufferers survive as long at that stage as my relatives did between 5 and 7 years in our case and certainly when watching her sister at that stage my own mother did say, "That's not 'living' that's 'mere existence'". I think that's what he was referring to. A bit like MND sufferers, to be trapped within their own bodies, completely unable to communicate in any way at all, it's that stage I think we would all rather spare our LOs from watching with us. Yet the medical world keeps 'trying' to keep people alive with 'another bout of ABs' or another treatment - in other words actively delaying the inevitable demise and leaving the person with no QoL between the emergencies. That's where perhaps we need to be allowed to say 'No more treatments. Let nature take it's course.'

Obviously that is a very biased opinion based on my own experiences and other people wlll think differently , as they have a right to.
Yes I can agree with you that it can be heart breaking to support someone at the end stages of dementia but Eamon is talking about going to Switzerland and taking a potion at the time of diagnosis.There is a lot of living before considering that course of action.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
It's good to read something positive Jorbin. I'm pleased you have a support network through memory cafes and suchlike, that's so important in living with or dealing with Dementia. Good luck to you and best wishes, R
Thank you. We are very supported in Stockport.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Yes I can agree with you that it can be heart breaking to support someone at the end stages of dementia but Eamon is talking about going to Switzerland and taking a potion at the time of diagnosis.There is a lot of living before considering that course of action.
Yes, but he is probably thinking, that by the time he may need to consider taking that action, his disease will also be too advanced to actually be able to take the action.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Thank you so much for sharing Jorbin. It just goes to show that one persons experience with dementia is just that, although sometimes there are similarities with symptoms and different experiences.
It is lovely that you feel so well supported and can enjoy the life you have. That’s all any of us can ask for. I do hope you continue to ‘live well’ and please know that you are also very inspiring yourself. I think a lot of people will benefit from hearing your talk at the Alzheimer’s show. Best Wishes x

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Yes, but he is probably thinking, that by the time he may need to consider taking that action, his disease will also be too advanced to actually be able to take the action.
I still believe that he should not be so reckless to talk about assisted dying until he has spoken to people who has dementia and who are living well and exciting lives and to find out what support there is.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing Jorbin. It just goes to show that one persons experience with dementia is just that, although sometimes there are similarities with symptoms and different experiences.
It is lovely that you feel so well supported and can enjoy the life you have. That’s all any of us can ask for. I do hope you continue to ‘live well’ and please know that you are also very inspiring yourself. I think a lot of people will benefit from hearing your talk at the Alzheimer’s show. Best Wishes x
Thank you.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Thank you for your post Jorbin, it made interesting and uplifting reading.

I heard what Eamon Holmes said earlier and it did make me jolt. Of course he is at liberty to express his opinion- I do wonder what his wife Ruth thought about what he said when she has been very public about her Dad's Alzheimers.
There are many conditions that would seriously make me consider euthanasia I am not sure if Dementia is one of them. As others have said by the time any disease has progressed to the stage where you just want out you are beyond being able to do anything about it without help. That is the amazing thing about us humans that when faced with a terrible and frightening future we still cling to survival.
I am not sure if I agree with you Jorbin but I find your post inspiring and comforting in equal measure.
I wish you all the best.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018

I heard what Eamon Holmes said earlier and it did make me jolt. Of course he is at liberty to express his opinion- I do wonder what his wife Ruth thought about what he said when she has been very public about her Dad's Alzheimers.
There are many conditions that would seriously make me consider euthanasia I am not sure if Dementia is one of them. As others have said by the time any disease has progressed to the stage where you just want out you are beyond being able to do anything about it without help. That is the amazing thing about us humans that when faced with a terrible and frightening future we still cling to survival.
I am not sure if I agree with you Jorbin but I find your post inspiring and comforting in equal measure.
I wish you all the best.
Thank you.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

I wish you all the best.

I read this thread with great interest, as I did not see Eamon Holmes but got the drift of what he was on about.

Like many things in life there are different perspectives depending on where you yourself are standing at the time. Maybe Mr Holmes would think differently if he could meet Jorbin, and/or read the posts on here.... who knows, and, frankly, I don't care what Mr Holmes thinks, although I do care that he chooses to air his own opinions publicly on television before millions of people.

Each of us connected with dementia are taking our own journey. Jorbin is an inspiration on the relief of a diagnosis has brought, and the immediate future.

I have had experience of relatives/friends with end stage dementia, and they are now deceased. I wish I had not had this experience, and then my outlook with regard to my OH would have been different. Knowing what most likely is ahead, is terrifying, but life is precious at any stage ( in my view)

I did visit my aunt towards the very end of her life, when she was so vulnerable. I talked to her, about her husband who was my Dad's brother, and explained that he had 'gone now' and Dad was long gone, and I did suggest to her that she could go now, that it was OK to go now, and that they were waiting for her - (not sure if that is actually what happens, but it seemed a kind thing to say). My aunt lingered for just a few more weeks, and then was gone.

One thing that distressed me more than anything, was that my aunt had always been called 'Betty' but on her door in the nursing home, it said 'Elizabeth' - I asked the staff what they called her when speaking to her, and the answer was 'Elizabeth'. I asked that they did not do this. I know when a person is dying virtually the last sense to go is hearing - I reasoned that my aunt could still hear us, and requested that they changed the name on the door to 'Betty' and put it in her notes that she should be spoken to as 'Betty' so that if there was something still there of her, she would know it was her they were talking to. Does that make sense?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
One thing that distressed me more than anything, was that my aunt had always been called 'Betty' but on her door in the nursing home, it said 'Elizabeth' - I asked the staff what they called her when speaking to her, and the answer was 'Elizabeth'. I asked that they did not do this. I know when a person is dying virtually the last sense to go is hearing - I reasoned that my aunt could still hear us, and requested that they changed the name on the door to 'Betty' and put it in her notes that she should be spoken to as 'Betty' so that if there was something still there of her, she would know it was her they were talking to. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense @maryjoan

My husband was Indian and his first name was difficult to pronounce. People tried but all they managed were near misses. His surname however was phonetical and very easy.

When he went into residential care I knew he didn`t know people were speaking to him when they addressed him, so suggested they call him Mr. G . They were unsure , thinking the formality was inappropriate but I managed to persuade them.

My husband was of the generation and culture which wasn`t easy with first name terms anyway, especially from much younger people, and was happy being addressed as Mr G for the rest of his stay in the care home.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I have had experience of relatives/friends with end stage dementia, and they are now deceased. I wish I had not had this experience, and then my outlook with regard to my OH would have been different. Knowing what most likely is ahead, is terrifying, but life is precious at any stage ( in my view

And I agree life is precious.
But you see experiences can be so different. I watched 3 aunts get to end-stage. My aunt who lingered in stage 7 for over 6 years,was an aunt who I didn't have to visit so often. Watching my own mother linger in that final stage, for over 6 years and visiting on at least a weekly basis, obviously more often when she was ill was a completely different experience and incredibly distressing. She had 19 'end-of-life emergencies' during those last 18 months ( as had her sister before her - must be in the genes :rolleyes:) and sitting by her 'potentially-dying-bedside over those many, many months has coloured my impression and certainly I would not want to wish that experience on my own children.

During the period of my mother's dementia, my husband and I was also caring for my m-I-l , just elderly, blind and physically disabled and the discrepancy between the two was more obvious and poignant. My m-i-l enjoyed rejoicing with her grandchildren, over their engagements, weddings and birth of her great-grandchildren. My mother didn't even know what a birthday, engagement, wedding, grandchild etc was and didn't even attempt to focus on pictures I brought in to show her. That was really distressing and painful. Whereas my -m-il and f-I-l were still very much involved in life, obviously enjoying life, my mother was similar to 'locked-in syndrome' where she was no longer able to interact in any way with the world and her surroundings. That is when although I would not advocate 'euthanasi' I would like it to be permissible to 'let nature take it's course' and use no more interventions to keep a body going because they need to 'do no harm'. The Dr and I agreed but the NH said they couldn't follow that and 'had to follow guidelines'.

Last edited:

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Does that make sense?
Oh yes. Even though my mother didn't seem to react at all, my constant battle with her NH was over the issue of her music. I provided a CD player with music from her native country, so at least she could hear her native language and familiar soothing music which I asked to be on pretty nearly all day and at night if she was awake. Although I have no idea if she could understand me I always spoke in her native language on my visits. When I visited and found the radio on and Radio 1 blaring out full blast:eek:! I had many, many discussions with the Home. We even provided laminated notices at 3 places in the room, but inevitably some carers failed to follow instructions. She was long past the possibility of being able to move her and at least some of the carers were familiar with her.

I do believe that at least the music was the last possible pleasure left to her and trust that it in some way eased those last years.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh yes. Even though my mother didn't seem to react at all, my constant battle with her NH was over the issue of her music. I provided a CD player with music from her native country, so at least she could hear her native language and familiar soothing music which I asked to be on pretty nearly all day and at night if she was awake. Although I have no idea if she could understand me I always spoke in her native language on my visits. When I visited and found the radio on and Radio 1 blaring out full blast:eek:! I had many, many discussions with the Home. We even provided laminated notices at 3 places in the room, but inevitably some carers failed to follow instructions. She was long past the possibility of being able to move her and at least some of the carers were familiar with her.

I do believe that at least the music was the last possible pleasure left to her and trust that it in some way eased those last years.

Just being nosey, what is your native language?

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Just being nosey, what is your native language?
Not nosey at all.
My mother was born in Germany. She met my English father just after the war and as you may imagine at that time the marriage caused many upsets - 'marrying the enemy'.;)

Although I am proud of my heritage and certainly my mother was never afraid to admit her heritage, we did have to avoid those 'Reminiscence days' when they did things like celebrating the Brits winning the war or singing songs they sang during the war years etc. as other dementia sufferers didn't always view 'the enemy' with such 'kind eyes' ;). Actually that was one blessing when she lost the ability to interact quite early on and by the time she was ready for the NH it was no longer a problem with any residents.