each solution creates another problem

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
Got hospital bed which went all the way to the floor to stop mum getting out and falling, but she manged to get out.

although hospital advised not to put sides on as she may do herself more harm, i went ahead and got sides put on bed, and its been brilliant, mum just lays in bed until I go to see to her..so no more finding her on the floor in the morning.

She then became incotinent, so got pads, but somehow this 86 year old lady who's food I have to cut up, and can't move a chair so that she can sit down, manages to climb out of a full fize nappy and pants, which I then find slung on the floor..resulting in having to was all the bed linen everyday...

last week, once agian she had taken nappy and pants off, as I am helping her out of bed, at wich point we both started to laugh, so she starts not only to wet herself but also No 2's (having taken movicol the night before), on to the carpet, I grab towels, sheets etc, try to get her to sit still on toilet whilst I clear up mess, it must have been like a scene from a "horror"movie..

So that they I set about finding a solution, I bought a swimsuit, so now when the carer comes to put her to bed at night, she wears a nappy, a swimsuit and a nightie. She thinks its to keep her warm...

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
A swimsuit to bed! Now that would be funny if it wasn't for the unpleasant story behind it. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that...

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Now I'm vaguely remember that someone else came up with this solution to the "continence product removal" problem: I do rember thinking "I'll have to try that" but it wasn't to be in the end. Well done you for thinking outside the box.

Jennifer

P.S. I was given the bed rail spiel, but what's more likely: someone getting caught between the rail and the matress, or someone falling out on the floor? Actually I know the answer to this: the studies I looked at were from nursing homes in the US and there had been 8 fatalities due to the former, and over a 100 due to the latter. So there!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What a really good idea candy . I must remember that when the time come and if mum does what your mother does pulling them of .

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
So that they I set about finding a solution, I bought a swimsuit, so now when the carer comes to put her to bed at night, she wears a nappy, a swimsuit and a nightie. She thinks its to keep her warm...

Hi Candy, I also think that this is a marvellous idea, great solution! Hope you have problem free days ahead. Take Care. Taffy.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL