E-Scooters - Share your experiences

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
i remember doing my cycling proficiency test as well. taught you the highway code and basic checks of your bike. they do it around where i live. then they grow up. the mayor presented the badges. now we have young lads doing wheelies on the moped/scooter in our road
There were young lads doing wheelies near last night's accident.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
There does seem to be a general downward turn in standards and courtesy when using our roads and pavements, whatever the mode of transport.

There are: motorists who approach junctions and roundabouts with no thought of stopping; cyclists on pedestrian paths or riding with hands off the bars; pedestrians absorbed by their phones or listening to music without attention to their surroundings; speeding commercial vehicles; dog owners with no control or with long leads that stretch across shared routes; vehicles of all kinds blocking paths and roads; skateboarders using cycle paths; groups of people blocking pavements during the pandemic. And more besides.

E-scooters are just the latest in a long list of transport related hazards that we all have to deal with if we want to live in a modern society. Call out bad behaviour where you see it, if you wish, but don't expect to be thanked for doing so!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It isn`t only e-scooters.

I don`t hear all sounds from behind me. Mobility scooters users who use the pavements and use a bell or horn to try to overtake me often do not appreciate hidden disability and some have been quite impatient.

e-scooters on pavements are a pain. They swerve about between pedestrians with no concern.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I turned right to be faced with an e-scooter heading straight at me how I didn’t hit it I don’t know. They have banned them on the caravan site I go to.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Isn’t it illegal to use a privately owned e scooter on publicly owned land ?

I have no objection to them on principle but we don’t have a rental scheme in our town and cyclists are not, in theory, allowed to cycle thru the town centre between 10am and 6pm yet we are expected to use the cycle paths which are all shared with pedestrians. I’m all for environmentaly modes of transport but I think local councils need a serious re-think about their transport infrastructure before e-scooters can be used safely.

And idiots with no manners are a big problem…

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I failed my (first) cycling proficiency test :(
My brother still likes to remind me.

Re. scooters, bikes, etc, I think we have to bear in mind that if we're going to be 'greener' as a country, people are being encouraged to use alternative modes of transport such as bikes, so we'd better get used to it. Unfortunately, e-scooters fall between push bikes and motorised bikes/scooters/mopeds, etc, and I don't think most of us - including the riders - know exactly what the rules are. Insurance, bells, helmets, where they can or can't be ridden - there are many things to consider, including the use of mobile phones and headphones whilst riding - incredibly dangerous.

Having said that, e-scooters look like enormous fun. Personally, I fancy a segway... or maybe a hoverboard. But I'll wait till they make one with a shopping basket!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
It isn`t only e-scooters.

I don`t hear all sounds from behind me. Mobility scooters users who use the pavements and use a bell or horn to try to overtake me often do not appreciate hidden disability and some have been quite impatient.

e-scooters on pavements are a pain. They swerve about between pedestrians with no
I failed my (first) cycling proficiency test :(
My brother still likes to remind me.

Re. scooters, bikes, etc, I think we have to bear in mind that if we're going to be 'greener' as a country, people are being encouraged to use alternative modes of transport such as bikes, so we'd better get used to it. Unfortunately, e-scooters fall between push bikes and motorised bikes/scooters/mopeds, etc, and I don't think most of us - including the riders - know exactly what the rules are. Insurance, bells, helmets, where they can or can't be ridden - there are many things to consider, including the use of mobile phones and headphones whilst riding - incredibly dangerous.

Having said that, e-scooters look like enormous fun. Personally, I fancy a segway... or maybe a hoverboard. But I'll wait till they make one with a shopping basket!
Just had two near misses with cyclists on pavements.

MaNaAk