E-Scooters - Share your experiences

Shel_B

Staff Member
Staff member
May 5, 2020
Doncaster
Hi there,

We've had a request from our Research and Influencing team, who would like to know about your experiences with e-scooters in either a positive or negative light.

They have been hearing reports of people almost being knocked over while going about their daily activities by those riding the e-scooters.

They're asking if while you're out and about what experience have you had with them?

If you could comment below, we'd really appreciate it.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
As a deaf person anything with wheels on the pavement is a hazard for me. I knocked a cyclist into the road on a narrow pavement once. As he was young and fit and I felt he should have been on the road and not trying to squeeze past me I wasn't particularly contrite. I've also been shouted at by someone on a mobility scooter for not getting out of their way when I didn't hear them.
Having said that electric scooters look like fun, and I noticed our nearest large city with a student population has them for hire in the same way that you can hire bikes in some places. I can also see that unlike bikes riding on the road could be tricky. I just think one, people who use them should be aware pedestrians have priority and two should realise there are quite a few people with hidden disabilities out there who won't be able to leap aside when they come steaming along.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
There are a lot of e-scooters for hire on a scheme around this part of Newcastle. They seem popular with people of widely different ages, much more so than when hire bikes were available (that scheme was abandoned after so many bikes were dumped in the Tyne). Groups of young people seem to use them to get to parties. Others use them for shopping or other purposes.

They do look like fun but normal hygiene concerns (made more acute during Covid) would put me off wearing the helmet that is included in the hire package.

Silent and speedy approach combined with poor or non-existent road sense can cause problems for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. This is so whether one is fit, have hearing or sight loss, limited mobility, or issues of perception due to dementia, for example.

Perhaps the most obvious hazard (except to those who cause it) is the scooters being 'parked', or abandoned, so that they block pathways across common land and alongside roads. Motor vehicles and bikes are sometimes parked in similar haphazard ways so it is not just a feature of scooter use.

If my wife was still at home she would doubtless have something pithy to say, might perhaps worry about the 'lost property', or the person and would repeat these each and every time. She was certainly like that with the hire bikes. Repetition and seeing things for the 'first time' is a trait of dementia, of course. Scooters may be just one more thing to comment on ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
They are a nuisance, I had one just cut across a junction that I was approaching in my car. I was going slowly but he didn't look, he was oblivious of any traffic and he had headphones on. I also followed one down a narrow road and I could not get pass him, he also had headphones on and had no idea that I was behind him.

They look like fun and that is part of the problem. People (mainly youngsters) don't see the dangers and are merrily whizzing around playing their favourite tunes.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I am still fairly young and fit enough to jump.out the way, but think they are a nuisance. Thankfully not had any problems taking C on the wheelchair, but there's a few elderly frail people in our housing block and a hub for these things on the street corner. It's not a safe combination.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I don't think these things have made their way to my backward neck of the woods yet. (Locals are still complaining about Chopper bikes...)

I live on a steep hill and it amazes me that people on mobility scooters go down it. I think I'd be scared of the thing tipping over. (But it doesn't take much to scare me.)

I was nearly run over by a lady on one of those, on the flatter, main street. She came up behind me and tried to pass so close she shoved me out of the way with her body and I nearly fell over. The base of the scooter was mere inches from my foot. She also gave me a mouthful with some choice swear words...

Also on the subject of hearing impairment, electric cars are very quiet and I think these pose a danger too.

Can e-scooters be restricted to cycle lanes?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we have e-scooters all over the council estate that i live on. any street corner and parade of shops. we were going to have some near my house but i complained about anti-social behaviour, lateness of teenagers being there and the need for me to have a clear pathway for my mobility scooter. it was withdrawn. my grandson has his own and respects other users of the path. the rider do go on the road but dont obey the rules. i was crossing zebra crossing on my scooter and one didnt stop. they do come up very close and i dont always hear them which is dangerous but on the same token, ive had teenagers on bikes doing wheelies right next to me and i didnt hear them either and there is nothing wrong with my hearing.
as for when im on my mobility scooter, i make sure i watch other pavement users and go at walking pace and crawling pace in shops. there are those who give us a bad name and think they own the pavement. down steep hills. slow down and brake and up hill chug upwards. i have a horn and an air horn to go on which my friend said would be good for those with hearing loss.
if scooters had a loud warning horn, it might be better, respect others and watch out for others.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
They are actually illegal unless they are part of LA scheme to trial them. As far as I'm concerned anything with wheels should be on the road-prams and wheelchairs excepted obviously. And properly ridden mobility scooters.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
They (or is it the people that ride them) are a complete pain in the proverbial. Taking our dog over the park some months ago there was a teenager riding one - whizzing along the pathways, he was with adults but they were oblivious to him. We returned to the car after our walk when the idiot came flying round a blind corner, nearly had me and my dog (who was on a lead). I did shout at him but he just stuck his fingers up and carried on.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
They are actually illegal unless they are part of LA scheme to trial them. As far as I'm concerned anything with wheels should be on the road-prams and wheelchairs excepted obviously. And properly ridden mobility scooters.
our e-scooters are part of LA scheme for greener travel but they dont have insurance or licence so cant drive on road. other thing is the riders very rarely wear helmets and dont have social graces or manners if you shout at them. they, also, dont use lights so in the dark evenings, you cant see them. not even high vis or reflectors. they put other people and vehicles at risk

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
our e-scooters are part of LA scheme for greener travel but they dont have insurance or licence so cant drive on road. other thing is the riders very rarely wear helmets and dont have social graces or manners if you shout at them. they, also, dont use lights so in the dark evenings, you cant see them. not even high vis or reflectors. they put other people and vehicles at risk
A menace in fact. Along with delivery riders going at breakneck speeds!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
They are no more nor less hazardous than bicycles, which have been in use since the 19th century. Whenever anything new appears people regard it with horror. Cars, trains, were all feared when novel. Reckless driving is a hazard whatever is being driven.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've nearly been hit by one and so has my friend. Essex County Council deemed them such a success that they were going to extend their trial until April according to my local paper so I wrote and complained. I find my violin is very useful when I walk to work because the idiots that are riding these are forced to get out of my way.

MaNaAk

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I've nearly been hit by one and so has my friend. Essex County Council deemed them such a success that they were going to extend their trial until April according to my local paper so I wrote and complained. I find my violin is very useful when I walk to work because the idiots that are riding these are forced to get out of my way.

MaNaAk
I hope you also suggested that a man with a red flag should have to walk in front of any powered vehicle!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I hope you also suggested that a man with a red flag should have to walk in front of any powered vehicle!
No technically I don't mind these things but the people riding them on pavements are usually too fast and why don't these people ever use bells.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
with cars, motor bikes etc, there are laws about insurance, tax, licences that they have to abide by. e-scooters and yes bikes are quiet, no lights half the timer so not only can you not hear them, you cant see them either. they can cause injuries and seem to be rode like scooters that are not powered. they seem younger that drivers. i know that i had teenagers doing wheelies on their bikes that were right by my side when i was driving my mobility scooter. scared me. scooters the same. problem is my LA is encouraging these by encouraging rentals. yes mobility scooters can be bad but i show consideration when people are almost climbing over you. i would rather walk but i cant so i have as much right as anyone else.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I remember taking my cycling proficiency test at school and it was all taken very seriously. I know the school down the road still does this because they do it outside my house every year and all the kids wear yellow vests and are very respectful of people passing by and cars, although it is a very quiet road.

Nothing wrong with scooters in theory, it's the idiots that ride them. They look straight ahead and shoot straight out across the road. I have not yet seen one using their mobile while riding so that is one good thing but the wearing of headphones is a big problem.

I find town driving less pleasant than it used to be because a lot of car drivers just don't look, a lot of pedestrians are even worse, stepping out while looking at their phones or listening to music oblivious to traffic. Perhaps I am getting old.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
There was an accident at a junction near me when I got home. It looked like two cars tried to turn left with one overtaking the other. One car hit the central reservation and I don't how they all escaped without serious injury. This road heads towards the high street from the north of our new 'city' and @nita will know which road I'm talking about.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I remember taking my cycling proficiency test at school and it was all taken very seriously. I know the school down the road still does this because they do it outside my house every year and all the kids wear yellow vests and are very respectful of people passing by and cars, although it is a very quiet road.

Nothing wrong with scooters in theory, it's the idiots that ride them. They look straight ahead and shoot straight out across the road. I have not yet seen one using their mobile while riding so that is one good thing but the wearing of headphones is a big problem.

I find town driving less pleasant than it used to be because a lot of car drivers just don't look, a lot of pedestrians are even worse, stepping out while looking at their phones or listening to music oblivious to traffic. Perhaps I am getting old.
i remember doing my cycling proficiency test as well. taught you the highway code and basic checks of your bike. they do it around where i live. then they grow up. the mayor presented the badges. now we have young lads doing wheelies on the moped/scooter in our road