1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. macatac

macatac Registered User

Nov 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Well, after a lot of problems of my own with the dwp,thanks to atos,and being taken off of my incapacity benefit, I do have to give credit where credit is due. I applied for attendance allowance for my mum who has alzheimers. We had a decision within 4 wks,and she was awarded the lower rate. Several weeks later,the dwp made an appointment to come out to visit myself and mum in order to make me her appointee. The chap from the dwp came out at the time specified, was here for a half hr,and whilst here completed a form to apply to get my mum the severe disability premium. The severe disability was awarded,and sorted out within 4-5 wks with arrears paid. Ive had need to ring the pensions service once,said I was her appointee, and after a couple of security questions was able to deal with the enquiry I had. Quite impressive really.

2. Liz57

Liz57 Registered User

Dec 22, 2013

How do you become an appointee? I've applied for Attendance Allowance for mum, been told that it will take up to 3 months and they'll only deal directly with her, despite me saying she's got Alzheimers. the follow up letter they sent to her caused all sorts of issues (she gets very agitated when something happens she doesn't understand).

3. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Just asked them to visit you which they have done with us . They have made me his appointee too and were very nice and understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

4. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    I got the help of CAB to help fill in Attendance Allowance stuff, then rang DWP to arrange for a home visit regarding Appointee. The people who came just asked mum a few questions, filled in the forms and within 4 weeks all complete, they also arranged for some of mum's benefits to be paid in to mine and mums bank accounts. There was only one hiccup and that was one benefit was still being paid into mum's post office pension account, just a mistake and soon sorted.

5. Lancashirelady

Lancashirelady Registered User

Oct 7, 2014
    I was pleasantly gobsmacked how straightforward it was to be made an appointee. A very nice lady from the DwP came out to see Dad. It was a very short visit - he was having a day when he could hardly speak - and it all got sorted in next to no time. She recommended we open a separate bank account for Dad's benefits so it would be transparent what was going in and out, which we did. AA and state pension both went in and Mum got some help with the household expenses as Dad hadn't been to the bank in months!