DWP came to see us today re: Appointee

RustySaddle

Jun 30, 2010
Dorset
Hi just thought I'd post this as I was worried about the DWP coming and what it all meant, but it was fine. The lady just wanted to be sure that I could act as MILs appointee to receive her pension and her DLA benefits. She just looked at our ID and she talked about my new responsibilities to advise them of changes of circumstances etc and then approved it there and then. MIL was over the moon, things like this do get her stressed out, she's so happy not to have to worry about it any more. I'm going to open another bank account though, else it will get too confusing as to whos money is what...:eek: This appointee form will go on for life. Will still get power of attorney sorted out, but it will make life a lot easier, and MIL can stop going out of the house with wads of cash on her, she's been robbed once, left her purse in shopping basket and didn't keep an eye on it. I'm so glad that she was such a nice girl and very discreet, I had visions of her saying "and how long have you had AZ" but she was very careful, phew, that's over...:)

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Sarah,
Glad to hear that the meeting went well. I had one nearly 6 weeks ago, and like you, was concerned that they would ask all the wrong questions. However, the lady was very nice and didn't even speak to mum in the end. Once she saw that I had POA she said there was just one form to complete and that was that.

However, even though my mum moved to a care home a year ago in June, the DWP records haven't taken that on board - they decided to stop paying her pension in order to prompt contact!!! (last received on 22 March) and I'm still trying to get that started up again. I've been very patient up till now, but when I see mum's bank statement with 0 coming in to it and fees going out, it is terrifying!! I did make it clear to the lady from the DWP that to stop anyone's pension is wrong - but for someone with dementia seems plain stupid. What would have happened if she didn't have me looking after her affairs?

Anyway, that's my moan over - so glad that you have taken that step. It's a good idea to get the POA soon though as it does make your life easier (in general!)
Regards,
Gill x

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
That's good Sarah, and a useful reminder that being an appointee for benefits is usually quite straightforward and can be used in addition to a Power of Attorney.