DVLA - Surrender of Driving licence

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi, I am looking for some advice please.

I have just spoken to the DVLA with regards to surrendering my dad's driving licence due to medical reasons (Advanced Dementia). The reason I called them is that my dad does not have the mental capacity to now sign his name and as I do not have POA for his health and welfare they said they will not accept me signing it on his behalf.

To add to this, his licence is due for renewal in January 2019, but my dad is now living in a care home and I have sold his house, so any correspondence sent to his old address will be a waste of time.

They have said all I can do is send them the form and his driving licence with a letter and they may or may not accept it. I did point out to them, that if they don't it will be pointless them returning it to his old address.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how did you overcome it?

Thanks.

Elle.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi, I am looking for some advice please.

I have just spoken to the DVLA with regards to surrendering my dad's driving licence due to medical reasons (Advanced Dementia). The reason I called them is that my dad does not have the mental capacity to now sign his name and as I do not have POA for his health and welfare they said they will not accept me signing it on his behalf.

To add to this, his licence is due for renewal in January 2019, but my dad is now living in a care home and I have sold his house, so any correspondence sent to his old address will be a waste of time.

They have said all I can do is send them the form and his driving licence with a letter and they may or may not accept it. I did point out to them, that if they don't it will be pointless them returning it to his old address.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how did you overcome it?

Thanks.

Elle.

If his licence is due for renewal and he is not likely to drive just let it expire, when mum's renewal arrived 3 years ago I just shredded it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I had LPA so it was different.
If you send the licence you could cut it in half, this is what they ask you to do on the 3 yr renewal for us us over 75 oldies.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
If his licence is due for renewal and he is not likely to drive just let it expire, when mum's renewal arrived 3 years ago I just shredded it.

Thanks for your reply. I did think of just doing this, but I think they do write to to let you know it is due for renewal. I just didn't want any correspondence going to his old address.

Elle x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I had LPA so it was different.
If you send the licence you could cut it in half, this is what they ask you to do on the 3 yr renewal for us us over 75 oldies.

Thanks, that's what I think I'm going to do, along with the form and a letter, giving them my address and telephone number for correspondence just in case it is a problem

Elle x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you filed a change of address with the post office, would that not redirect this? Although without LPA it might be difficult to do even that.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
If you filed a change of address with the post office, would that not redirect this? Although without LPA it might be difficult to do even that.

Thanks. I do have POA for my dads property and finances, so I could do that, but for the sake of some junk mail and just this (all his other bills and correspondence now are on line or come to my address), I don't really want to pay to do a post re-direction.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Good grief, I've just checked: prices have really gone up since I last did this.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Good grief, I've just checked: prices have really gone up since I last did this.

lol! yes I know, that's why I'd rather not do it for the sake of just one thing. I think I will just hope they accept my covering letter, completed form without dad's signature and the cut up licence. I suppose if they don't I will never know if they won't deal with me.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I have noticed it too, I have to shop on line, I noticed that the minimum order is getting too easy to meet now.
Not so many items either.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi, just thought I'd give an update to my original post.

After sending the form, my dad's driving licence (cut up) and a covering letter explaining the situation. I received two letters from the DVLA yesterday, addressed to my dad but with my address confirming that they have accepted the surrender of his driving licence based on medical grounds and that he can no longer drive. It seems they saw some sense, thank goodness.

Take care.
Elle x