duplicate key

deborah hamilton

Dec 23, 2017
Good Morning.

Hi, im wondering if i could get some advice.My mum, has been diagnosed with Alzheimers, at the moment we are coming to terms with it, although we have suspected something has been wrong, over the past year.There are good days and bad days, which takes a lot of adjusting to. This Xmas, she will be staying with another member of the family, and we have obtained her spare front door key which she guards like the crown jewels.We would like to get a copy of the key, purely in case of emergency ( she lives on her own), but, the key is inscribed "do not duplicate". Is there any advice we could have as to how we could obtain another key?

Thankyou....deb

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Have you tried telling the key cutter that the key is yours, you've lost your only other one and get them to inscribe "do not duplicate" to add weight to your untruth.

Or could you change the lock and tell your mum you broke the old one?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Deborah
welcome to TP
I do agree with you that it's vital to have spare keys for your mum's house - she may be guarding it so carefully because she's concerned that she herself won't be able to get a duplicate (does she have any spares?) - is there a reason it's marked that way eg is she in assisted living housing?
do you have Power Of Attorney, as you could take that along to the key cutters and show it if the cutter raises any objections
I'd certainly try to get some cut - and if it's really not possible, then a good idea to change the locks, though not sure whether you'll get anyone to do it in the days before your mum comes home
if she is unhappy about someone actually having a key - she may agree to a keysafe (placed somewhere not too prominent, so emergency services can get in if necessary

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
is there a reason it's marked that way eg is she in assisted living housing?

That was my first thought as it's unusual for that to be stamped on a standard house key, more usual to see it on a key that has been issued by a landlord/business. If the property is rented or owned by a housing association etc then the landlord/owner should be able to provide a copy for you if you explain the circumstances. If not, if the key is just a standard type rather than an unusual high security type then as suggested just take it to a locksmith as legally there is nothing to prevent them from duplicating it. Not advocating it, but just read a few tips on-line about how putting a sticker over the 'do not duplicate' stamp with something like 'house key' written on it has done the trick.;)

deborah hamilton

Dec 23, 2017
hi Deborah
welcome to TP
I do agree with you that it's vital to have spare keys for your mum's house - she may be guarding it so carefully because she's concerned that she herself won't be able to get a duplicate (does she have any spares?) - is there a reason it's marked that way eg is she in assisted living housing?
do you have Power Of Attorney, as you could take that along to the key cutters and show it if the cutter raises any objections
I'd certainly try to get some cut - and if it's really not possible, then a good idea to change the locks, though not sure whether you'll get anyone to do it in the days before your mum comes home
if she is unhappy about someone actually having a key - she may agree to a keysafe (placed somewhere not too prominent, so emergency services can get in if necessary
Thankyou and all others for their replies, its much appreciated. The key in question ,must fit one of the first double glazed doors ever built.Its a multi lock key, with "do not duplicate" embossed on the plastic grip section. I will try a locksmith /keycutter first, and explain how old this key is, and a little background into why, i would like a duplicate.Heres hoping, and thankyou all once again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R