DST meeting? Looking at CHC funding

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Mum is self funding. Would appreciate any help anyone can offer in what to do to see if mum qualifies for CHC funding.

Meeting on Monday.

Thanks

Should say mum is not a sweet little old lady, she lashes out, bites, defecates anywhere and is now doubly incontinent. She's also quite mobile.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes Dotty. My wife Sue has CHC funding. We had a lot of support from the professionals and live in an area where, it seems, the system is pretty well-organised. The general consensus on TP seems to be that there's a real 'postcode lottery'. I agree, but it's still worth trying to get up to speed with the way it works and the support thread which nitram has pointed you to already has a lot of info and advice on it. Please keep us posted and ask any questions as they occur either here or on the support thread.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Thank you for the help. I will look at it tonight.

Has anyone been successful?

Yes, but only for one year, and then claimed back retrospectively for the other years, once I got a solicitor involved. Good luck. :)
Have a read through the link that Nitram has provided.:)

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Hi ,
My advice is to think about each of the 12 domains separately and write a list of the PWD's needs under each domain.

You have to make the case that your mother's needs go above and beyond what can be managed by staff in an ordinary nursing home. So, for example, under behavioural is your mum's aggression a risk to other residents? Would she need watching all the time? If she is mobile, has she any insight into what she can do? Does she constantly fall?

If you have any medical records or care records which prove your point then make sure you have copies with you.

If you pass the initial assessment and go forward to a CHC assessment then you must be prepared for the assessors to downplay each section. For example, my MiL could only shout yes or no but without any awareness of how she used the words. "No" didn't necessarily mean no and she could not express any needs to the staff in the hospital. However we were told that her needs under that domain couldn't be "severe" because she "could make noises" to express her needs. We argued the point vehemently and ensured it was noted by the staff nurse and my husband that we disagreed with the assessment on this point..

Preparation is the key. Try to get hospital staff, carers, etc to support you.

Good luck.
J x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
There's a lot of good advice here jasmineflower. I'm sure it will be helpful to dottyd and others. I would just query this:

You have to make the case that your mother's needs go above and beyond what can be managed by staff in an ordinary nursing home.

Some people receiving CHC funding continue to live at home though I agree that the vast majority are in care homes. I wouldn't want people to think that if the person they care for is given CHC funding a care home placement is inevitable.

Last edited:

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Hi
I agree that people can still receive CHC at home. I just made that point because the assessors appeared to use it as the benchmark when my MIL had her assessment done. i.e if the person was in a care home, would the normal ratio of staff and the nursing care they give be sufficient for that person, or do their needs go above and beyond the norm.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Thanks all. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on it.

Thankfully the care home has kept pretty good notes. Not only did I read them I photographed most of them onto my iPad.

What I found particularly helpful was the dols forms from December. The doctor has ade some excellent statements so I will use those.

I've watchd the video. A well managed need is still a need is my mantra.

I might switch off till the morning or should I do more research?

mojobrad

Jan 11, 2014
My mum has CHC and she lives at home.

One of our problems was that we couldn't get carers because of my mothers violence.

One tip that I would like to add would be that there is a 13th domain and that is for anything "special" that you can think of. So some additional points can go in there that may not be covered anywhere else. For example my mother just doesn't sleep - she's on the go 24/7.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
And an update.
We got CHC funding. No ifs or buts. The meeting was very fair and ( appeared) to follow the correct procedure.

The member of staff was excellent( basically because they wanted my mum out ASAP).

There are no nursing beds in my town so now the hunt is on to find her something suitable. The downside of it all.

But thanks to you all . Especially the video. That should be a sticky. Watched it twice. I can practically quote from it and have a much better understanding of the process.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
How good to hear of a positive outcome. You were well prepared and had the backing of the staff to give a true and accurate account of your mum's condition.

My husband also qualified for funding, and I think the DoLS report helped with that, but it was a real trial to find a home that had vacancies that would take him, so I wish you good luck in this stage.

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Congratulations. Good news. You must be very relieved. This means that your mum will receive the care she needs even if it is 24hour one to one assistance

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Spent all afternoon looking at two places.

One has twelve residents. Is upstairs. Atmosphere felt a bit flat. No beds but maybe one coming up shortly. Good cqc report.

Other has 27 residents. Unit is downstairs . It's in the shape of a square around a garden with unlocked doors . No smell, very clean. Seems very professional. Good cqc report. Has a bed.

I'm inclined to go for the second one as I'm wanting downstairs accommodation. I feel mum has been incarcarcerated for three and a half years. I want her to be able to walk in the garden and feel the sun on her face.

Seemed to be busy, p,entry of activity. Seemed the sort of place where relatives visited. Nice wide corridors.

Has a beautiful restaurant outside the unit where relatives can go and eat with lo for small payment.

I think this is the one I will choose. I hate upstairs accommodation with a passion . As much as I hate old houses converted I to care houses. I much prefer something purpose built.

Oldbeauty

Feb 21, 2016
So pleased for you dottyd, well done. The second home sounds lovely, somewhere I'd love my mother to live.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Yes, the second home sounds great.

Re incarceration, I wish I could put into words the happiness on Sue's face when we were finally able to move her downstairs permanently and take her outside in a wheelchair. This was the first time she had been outside for three months

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife