Dry Eyes

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I am putting this Q? here as/because I fear/know that OH, although diagnosed with Parkinson's, is now going the dementia route.

As I mentioned a while back the heating, he thought that there was something wrong with it. We got it checked and new thermostat fitted.

Now I can't remember if I read something on here, or whether it was on the internet, but dry eyes are a symptom of dementia, is this correct.

Not expecting too much response but it is niggling my brain.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Don't know either
but dad has Parkinson's also, along with the dementia, and regularly says his eyes 'aren't right', rubbing them and trying to get something out, which isn't there.
I've wondered about using one of those sprays that spray onto the closed eyelid but haven't yet remembered to take one in to his home.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John has glaucoma and as well as the drops to treat it he is prescribed Hylocare which is for the general health of eye care. You might want to let your GP prescribe something suitable as it must be annoying for your husband.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
John has glaucoma and as well as the drops to treat it he is prescribed Hylocare which is for the general health of eye care. You might want to let your GP prescribe something suitable as it must be annoying for your husband.

Yes B has that too, I must get something soon

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There are loads of different brands/types of artificial tears and most of them can be bought over the counter too.
You can get watery eye drops type that are good for general use, but if the eyes are very dry you can get the gel type. The only problem with these is that they do blur the vision for a while (they cause a "greasy" film over the front of the eye) and are best used at night. If you find one brand doesnt work - try another. Pharmacists are usually pretty knowledgeable.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
After my operation for glaucoma in one eye, it is very dry and gritty.
I have 2 different types of lubricating drops to use for it. One sort 4 times a day and the other as many times as I need to use them.
I found the gel ones were harder to get into my eye as the get attached itself to my eyelash whereas the wetter ones will go in more easily.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Patsy my husband has had dry eye for a few months and I put Lacri-lube eye ointment in his eyes morning and night. As you live in Scotland you can get a pricription from an optician. A chemist might be able to put you in touch with an optician that does this service tomorrow. I was told that it could be the blower in the car or because he sits near the radiator in the house that's causing the dry eye.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Patsy my husband has had dry eye for a few months and I put Lacri-lube eye ointment in his eyes morning and night. As you live in Scotland you can get a pricription from an optician. A chemist might be able to put you in touch with an optician that does this service tomorrow. I was told that it could be the blower in the car or because he sits near the radiator in the house that's causing the dry eye.

now I will look into that on Tuesday , Monday local holiday, thank you.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Yes was thinking that too and LBD, but kassy I hope not, we get the Parkinson's mags 1/4ly and they mentioned that Parkinson's can be heditory, I do so hope they are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husbands eyes have deteriorated quite a bit since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He has type 2 diabetes and gets his eyes checked at the clinic and there is no diabetes changes to his eyes. Last year I found out he now has cataracts in both eyes. As if things were not difficult enough.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have very dry eyes and have had them for several years now. It's worse in the winter with the artificial heat. All I do is put drops in several times a day, as often as I feel necessary. I actually try to put them in before I feel the need. This was recommended to me by my optometrist and works well for me.